Fernandez Racing CART FedEx Championship Series -- Round Four Miller Lite 250 The Milwaukee Mile -- West Allis, Wis. -- May 31-June 2 Broadcast: Sunday, June 2 -- CBS Sports 12:30 pm EST Circuit: 1.032-mile oval Race: 250 laps/258...
CART FedEx Championship Series -- Round Four
Miller Lite 250
The Milwaukee Mile -- West Allis, Wis. -- May 31-June 2
Broadcast: Sunday, June 2 -- CBS Sports 12:30 pm EST
Circuit: 1.032-mile oval
Race: 250 laps/258 miles
Adrian Fernandez, Owner/Driver -- #51 Tecate/Quaker State/Telmex Honda/Lola/Bridgestone:
Fernandez Optimistic Following Successful Milwaukee Test
* Will be making his 10th Champ Car start at Milwaukee
* Best finish at Milwaukee was fifth in 1999 and 2001
* Best starting position at Milwaukee was ninth in 1995
* Started 23rd last year after the grid was set by championship points due to rain; scored his first points for Fernandez Racing with a fifth-place finish
* Has finished over half (56%) of his 23 one-mile oval starts in the top 10
* Career-best finish on a one-mile oval is fifth; best career start on a one-mile oval was third (Chicago 2001)
On Milwaukee: "We had a very good, efficient test at Milwaukee earlier this month. We were fast and everything was working well so we are looking to duplicate what we did there this weekend. We have different aerodynamics than last year, and we are hoping that this will help provide more opportunities for passing. This used to be a track where it was always easier to pass than on some other circuits, but it has been very difficult to pass the last few years with the wings we were running. Hopefully, with this new wing package, we will be able to bring back to Milwaukee the old side-by-side fighting and give the fans a great show."
FAST FACTS: Only owner/driver in current Champ Car field--Tied for fourth among active drivers in career wins with seven-- will be making his 149th career Champ Car start which will rank Fernandez 10th in CART all-time career starts-- currently sits 16th in the championship with 11 points-- has recorded points-paying finishes in over half of this 59 career oval starts-- four of his seven Champ Car career wins were on ovals -- Japan (1998/1999), Rio (2000) and Fontana (1999).
Shinji Nakano, Driver -- #52 Alpine/Mitsuba Honda/Lola/Bridgestone:
Nakano Hopes To Put Milwaukee Past Behind Him This Weekend
* Will be making his third Champ Car start at Milwaukee
* Started 16th last year after the grid was set by championship points due to rain, and finished 16th
* Qualified 20th in 2000, but retired from the race on Lap 71
* Has five career one-mile starts to his credit; best finish was 15th at Nazareth in 2001
On Milwaukee: "I have no good memories from Milwaukee the past two years, and I'm hoping that will change this weekend. [A pre-season testing accident at Milwaukee in 2000 caused him to miss three events that season -- Long Beach, Rio and Nazareth.] When we tested there a few weeks ago, I was struggling in the morning. By the end of the day, the car was getting better and better and now my confidence level is much higher than before. We went to Motegi and we were struggling as a team for the first oval track race of the season. Our test at Milwaukee was very good and now I think we have confidence as a team. The weather forecast looks pretty good for this weekend, and I am looking forward to making a good race."
FAST FACTS: Will be making his 41st career Champ Car start-- is in his third season of Champ Car competition, and second year with Fernandez Racing-- currently sits 17th in the championship with four points-- has 16 career oval starts, recording three top-10 finishes at Japan (2001/2002) and Homestead (2000).
Fernandez Racing Team News:
* Adrian Fernandez will serve as the 2002 Honorary Chairperson for the Race of Champions -- a fundraising event, in affiliation with The Milwaukee Mile, to benefit the March of Dimes. The highest bidder in the charity auction will have the opportunity to become an honorary team member of Fernandez Racing, and spend the weekend with Fernandez and the #51 crew. The Race of Champions will be held trackside at the Wisconsin State Fair Park Pavilion Building this Thursday, May 30th.
For more information, please visit www.fernandezracing.net and our media photo resource site at www.fernandezracing.net/media. For additional information on the CART FedEx Championship Series, please visit www.cart.com.