Dixon fastest in Miami Saturday qualifying, starts on outside of front row. - Scott Dixon (Target Toyota) topped the charts on a wet track in Saturday's final qualifying at Miami to earn the bonus points and guarantee himself a spot on the ...
Dixon fastest in Miami Saturday qualifying, starts on outside of front row.
- Scott Dixon (Target Toyota) topped the charts on a wet track in Saturday's final qualifying at Miami to earn the bonus points and guarantee himself a spot on the outside of the front row for Sunday's feature event. He's the first of six Toyotas that will start in the top 10 tomorrow.
- Today's pole marks the 18th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on top in the 28 CART qualifying sessions more than double the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with seven fast times, while Ford has had three. In addition, Toyota-powered cars have been the fastest in 16 of the last 22 road course qualifying sessions.
- With the fastest time today, Scott Dixon sets a personal-best with a second in qualifying. His previous best starting position had been a pair of thirds last year at Road America and Laguna Seca. It's Dixon's third consecutive top-four qualifying effort on a street course after fourth-place showings at Denver andVancouver.
- Tora Takagi (Pioneer/DensoToyota) set a new career-best in qualifying this weekend with a third, surpassing the fourth he earned last race at Rockingham, England. He had previously started second at Michigan last season, but that was based upon practice times rather than qualifying. Today marks his eighth top-10 start of the 2002 season.
- Kenny Brack (TargetToyota) earned his fourth straight top-six qualifying effort with a fourth this weekend. Brack was the pole-sitter last race in England. He also has qualified in the top 10 nine consecutive times, with five of those top-five showings.
- Scott Dixon and Kenny Brack combined to give Target Chip Ganassi Racing two cars in the top five for the 10th time in 16 races this season. Bruno Junqueira made it three Target Toyotas in the top 10 with a 10th today.
- Cristiano da Matta (ChevronToyota) made it four Toyotas in the top six with a sixth-place effort in qualifying today. He has now qualified in the top 10 in all 16 races this season 12 of those have been in the topfive. Teammate Christian Fittipaldi (Lilly Toyota) also qualified in the top 10 in eighth-place today. He was second-quickest in today's final qualifying session.
- After being fastest in three of four of this weekend's practice and qualifying sessions, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest lap in 34 of the last 44 road course practice and qualifying sessions this season.
Toyota Miami Final Qualifying:
2. Scott Dixon
3. Tora Takagi
4. Kenny Brack
6. Cristiano da Matta
8. Christian Fittipaldi
10. Bruno Junqueira
13. Oriol Servia
Miami Grand Prix of the Americas, Oct. 6, CBS 1:00 p.m. (tape delayed in some markets)