Red flags dominate qualifying, Toyotas 2-3-4 in Miami. - A series of red flags brought out by Michael Andretti, Paul Tracy and Adrian Fernandez dominated the qualifying action on the tight Miami street course with Toyota-powered drivers claiming...
Red flags dominate qualifying, Toyotas 2-3-4 in Miami.
- A series of red flags brought out by Michael Andretti, Paul Tracy and Adrian Fernandez dominated the qualifying action on the tight Miami street course with Toyota-powered drivers claiming three of the top four and four of the top six spots in today's provisional qualifying. Scott Dixon (Target Toyota) was second, followed by Tora Tagaki (Pioneer Toyota) and Kenny Brack (TargetToyota) in the third and fourth spots. Series points leader Cristiano da Matta was sixth and working on his final qualifying lap when Fernandez's caution basically wiped out the final minutes of the choppy session.
- If Scott Dixon can maintain or better his second-place qualifying effort of today, it would mark a personal best starting position for him. Dixon, coming off a second-place finish at Denver in the last CART street race, also was the fastest in this morning's practice session.
- After a career-best qualifying mark of fourth set last race at Rockingham, England, Tora Takagi surpassed that today with a third. If he maintains or betters that position tomorrow, it would set a personal CART-best for him. He did start third last seasonat Michigan, but that position was determined by practice times after qualifying was rained out.
- With Kenny Brack placing fourth today, Target Chip Ganassi Racing is on pace to qualify two cars in the top five for the 10th time in 16 races this season.
- A trio of Miami residents, Cristiano da Matta, Christian Fittipaldi and Bruno Junqueira qualified sixth, eighth and tenth,respectively, to give Toyota six of the top 10 qualifiers today. With Junqueira's 10th, all threeTarget Toyota's placed in the top 10, as did both Newman/Haas cars.
Toyota Miami Provisional Qualifying:
2. Scott Dixon
3. Tora Takagi
4. Kenny Brack
6. Cristiano da Matta
8. Christian Fittipaldi
10. Bruno Junqueira
13. Oriol Servia
Miami Grand Prix of the Americas, Oct. 6, CBS, 1:00 p.m. EDT