Junqueira, Toyota On Top again at Mexico. J- For the second consecutive day, Bruno Junqueira drove his Target Toyota to the fastest time in qualifying, giving him the pole position for Sunday's Mexico City Grand Prix. Junqueira sweeps both ...
Junqueira, Toyota On Top again at Mexico. J- For the second consecutive day, Bruno Junqueira drove his Target Toyota to the fastest time in qualifying, giving him the pole position for Sunday's Mexico City Grand Prix. Junqueira sweeps both qualifying points for the weekend and stretches his advantage to five points over Patrick Carpentier in the hunt for second place in the championship hunt. `Christian Fittipaldi will start third, with Kenny Brack sixth.
- Today's pole position is the 12th of the season for a Toyota-powered car and the 23rd overall pole position for Toyota in Champ Car competition. It's the sixth Toyota pole in the last eight races and the manufacturer's fifth pole in the last six street or road course events.
- Bruno Junqueira's pole position is his fourth of the season and the fifth of his Champ Car career. He won poles earlier this year at Motegi, Road America and Denver.
- Today's pole by Bruno Junqueira marks Target Chip Ganassi Racing's fourth pole in the last eight races, with Junqueira winning three (Road America, Denver and Mexico City) and Kenny Brack winning the fourth (England). The Target team has won five poles for the season and 13 since joining the Toyota ranks in 2000 -- the highest by any Toyota-powered team.
- Today's provisional pole marks the 22th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on top in the 33 CART qualifying sessions -- almost triple the amount of anyother engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with eight fast times, while Ford has had three. In addition, Toyota-powered cars have been the fastest in 20 of the last 26 road course qualifying sessions.
- With a 12th in qualifying this weekend, Cristiano da Matta's streak of 23 consecutive top-10 qualifying efforts comes to an end. The streak had been the longest in CART since Nigel Mansell qualified in the top in 30 straight races in 1993-94.
- With a Toyota on top of every practice and qualifying session this weekend, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest lap in 42 of the last 52 road course practice and qualifying sessions this season.
- With today's pole point, Toyota extends its Manufacturer's lead to 40 points over Honda. Toyota clinched the Manufacturer's Championship two races ago at Australia.
Toyota Mexico Qualifying:
1. Bruno Junqueira
3. Christian Fittipaldi
6. Kenny Brack
11. Tora Takagi
12. Cristiano da Matta
15. Scott Dixon
16. Oriol Servia