Marlboro Team Penske changed its drivers, engine, chassis and tires to adopt a whole new look for the 2000 CART FedEx Championship Series. After ten races, the red and white 2000 Marlboro Honda Reynards are in the hunt for the FedEx Series ...
Marlboro Team Penske changed its drivers, engine, chassis and tires to adopt a whole new look for the 2000 CART FedEx Championship Series. After ten races, the red and white 2000 Marlboro Honda Reynards are in the hunt for the FedEx Series Championship and, at the mid-point in the season, have had encouraging results:
* Marlboro Team Penske has won three out of the last six races and leads the series in wins to date.
* After capturing Roger Penske's 100th win in Nazareth and winning his second consecutive race at Portland International Raceway, Gil de Ferran became the first repeat winner in the 2000 season.
* Helio Castroneves earned his first career victory in Detroit.
* Marlboro Team Penske has been on the front row for five out of the ten races run so far this season, including the last three races. Marlboro Team Penske has captured the pole in Miami (de Ferran), Long Beach (de Ferran), Portland (Castroneves) and Toronto (Castroneves); and swept the entire front row in Portland. In addition, the Team has had at least one car qualify in the top five in nine out of ten races.
* Marlboro Team Penske has led laps in seven of the ten races contested this season for a total of 273 laps led.
* Marlboro Team Penske drivers have scored points in eight out of ten races this season.
TIM CINDRIC ON THE SEASON TO DATE:
"Although it is certainly good to have a few wins under our belt at the mid-point of the season, we have to do a better job of maximizing on our potential over the last 10 races. Our early success this season demonstrates the depth and talents of this team. Provided we execute, we should have a shot at the championship."
DE FERRAN CLOSES GAP ON MORENO IN POINT STANDINGS
Marlboro Team Penske driver Gil de Ferran finished in sixth place in the Molson Indy moving him eight points closer to the CART FedEx Championship Series leader, Roberto Moreno. This past weekend, de Ferran narrowed the standings gap to just 15 points between first and third place.
CASTRONEVES EARNS SECOND POLE IN THREE RACES
Marlboro Team Penske teammate Helio Castroneves earned the Greg Moore Pole Award, by winning his third career pole and second of the season on Saturday during qualifying for the Molson Indy Toronto. Castroneves received the award from Ric Moore in memory of his son Greg.
While Castroneves was in the top ten in each practice session and earned the pole, Sunday proved to be nothing less than disappointing. His day ended on lap 45 when the Team discovered a broken exhaust header, which put him out of the race. Although Castroneves ended up in 16th place, he did not lose position in the point standings, where he is currently 12th.
DE FERRAN ON TORONTO:
"We didn't have a very fast car today, so our strategy was to go the distance and get some points toward the Championship. When I came in for my first pit stop, I came up beside a car (#6