"What a fantastic day for everyone at Marlboro Team Penske. The guys on the Team did a terrific job in the pits keeping me out front all day. My second pit stop (lap 55 -- 9.08 seconds) was especially important because they got me out in front...
"What a fantastic day for everyone at Marlboro Team Penske. The guys on the Team did a terrific job in the pits keeping me out front all day. My second pit stop (lap 55 -- 9.08 seconds) was especially important because they got me out in front of (Cristiano) da Matta where we were able to stay until the end. I'm happy we were able to pick up the maximum number of championship points this weekend (20 points for the win, one for the pole and one for most laps led) and I'm looking forward to racing on the oval at Texas."
- Helio Castroneves, Marlboro Team Penske, #3 2001 Marlboro Honda Reynard
- Winner, 2001 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
"Marlboro Team Penske had a great day today. My car handled really well all day -- this is actually one of the best cars I've ever had. I was probably as fast or faster than (Cristiano) da Matta and Helio (Castroneves) but they didn't make any mistakes which didn't give me a real opportunity to attack. I was able to make a pass on the track (#55) and the Team did a great job in the pits getting me out ahead of Vasser (Jimmy) on my second stop. I want to congratulate Helio (Castroneves) on a terrific race."
- Gil de Ferran, Marlboro Team Penske, #1 2001 Marlboro Honda Reynard
- Third Place, 2001 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
Marlboro Team Penske
Toyota Grand Prix Of Long Beach
Post-Race Fast Facts
Sunday, April 8, 2001
* With his win today in Long Beach, Helio Castroneves has earned each of his four CART victories on road/street courses with the other three coming at Detroit, Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca in 2000.
* This is the second time Castroneves has won from the pole, the first came at Laguna Seca on September 9, 2000.
* Helio Castroneves has finished on the podium in two of four starts at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.
* Helio Castroneves has finished in the top-ten in ten of the last twelve races he's run.
* This is Helio Castroneves' seventh podium finish and his 22nd top-ten finish in his 61 CART career starts.
* After Helio Castroneves' win today in the streets of Long Beach, Marlboro Team Penske has won the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach four times, the last time the Team won was with Al Unser Jr. in 1995.
* This is the third time that Helio Castroneves and Gil de Ferran have finished on the podium together for Marlboro Team Penske. In addition to their first and third place finish today, they finished 1-2 at Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca in 2000.
* This is Penske Racing's 105th win in 34 seasons of competition, their 17th on temporary circuits and their 37th on road/street courses.
* This is Gil de Ferran's 28th podium finish and his 60th top-ten finish in his 111 CART career starts.
* Gil de Ferran has finished in the top-five in eight of the last eleven races he's run; he has finished in the top-three in seven of those eight races.