Da Matta, Fittipaldi put Toyota 2-3 in provisional Mid-Ohio qualifying. - With the second spot in today's provisional qualifying, Cristiano da Matta has now been in the top- two in 12 of the last 13 road course qualifying sessions, earning a...
Da Matta, Fittipaldi put Toyota 2-3 in provisional Mid-Ohio qualifying.
- With the second spot in today's provisional qualifying, Cristiano da Matta has now been in the top- two in 12 of the last 13 road course qualifying sessions, earning a series-high nine bonus points as the fastest in a qualifying session in the process. For the season, da Matta has earned 14 bonus points (poles, laps led) -- equivalent to what a driver would earn for a third-place race finish.
- Cristiano da Matta will be shooting for his sixth consecutive road course pole in qualifying tomorrow, just one shy of the all-time CART single-season record of seven straight road course poles set by Mario Andretti in 1983. Da Matta barely missed another pole when he lost out by .003 seconds at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach earlier this season.
- Christian Fittipaldi made it two Toyota-powered cars in the top three today with a strong third- place showing.
- Overall, six of the seven Toyota-powered cars in the field qualified in the top 10 today with Scott Dixon at #6, Tora Takagi at #7, Kenny Brack at #9 and Bruno Junqueira at #10.
- Toyota will be looking for its ninth win in the last 13 CART events in Sunday's race. To date, Mid- Ohio is the only track where CART has previously raced that Toyota has never earned a top-three podium finish. The manufacturer's best showing to date was a sixth by Roberto Moreno last season.
Toyota Drivers Mid-Ohio Provisional Final Qualifying
2. Cristiano da Matta
3. Christian Fittipaldi
6. Scott Dixon
8. Tora Takagi
9. Kenny Brack
10. Bruno Junqueira
13. Oriol Servia
Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio, Aug. 11, CBS 12:30 p.m. EDT