TOYOTAS RUN 2-4-5-6 AT MID-OHIO - Despite being the fastest car on the race track, Cristiano da Matta couldn't extend his CART points lead after spinning off the track while trying to pass for the lead on the extremely tight Mid-Ohio Sports Car...
TOYOTAS RUN 2-4-5-6 AT MID-OHIO
- Despite being the fastest car on the race track, Cristiano da Matta couldn't extend his CART points lead after spinning off the track while trying to pass for the lead on the extremely tight Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Sunday. Da Matta's woes turned into a plus for teammate Christian Fittipaldi, though, as Fittipaldi matched a season-best second-place performance to lead four Toyotas in the top six.
- With a second-place finish today, Toyota stretches its lead in the Manufacturer's Championship to 18 points over second-place Honda and 39 points over Ford.
- Christian Fittipaldi's (Lilly Toyota) second matches his best finish of the season and gives him four podium finishes - third-highest total in the series and just one behind the two leaders.
- Bruno Junqueira's (Target Toyota) fourth-place finish is his fifth top-five and seventh top-10 finish of the season. With the fourth, he regains sole possession of third-place - 8 points behind second-place Patrick Carpentier.
- Scott Dixon matched his season-best with a fifth-place finish after starting 15th today.
- Despite not scoring points today, Cristiano da Matta continues to lead the CART points standings with a 27-point lead over Patrick Carpentier, 122-95.
- In addition to series points leader Cristiano da Matta, three other Toyota drivers currently rank in the top-10. Bruno Junqueira currently ranks third (86), while Christian Fittipaldi (74) is sixth and Kenny Brack is eighth (68). Scott Dixon is just outside of the top 10 in 11th-place with 62 points.
Jim Aust, Toyota vice president of motorsports: "We had a number of drivers and cars that ran really well. I feel bad for Cristiano, but Mid-Ohio is an extremely difficult place to pass. It's all about track position here and the race very well may have been decided in qualifying on Saturday." <pre> Start/Finish #11 Christian Fittipaldi 2/2 #4 Bruno Junqueira 6/4 #44 Scott Dixon 15/5 #12 Kenny Brack 4/6 #20 Oriol Servia 12/10 #5 Tora Takagi 10/12 #6 Cristiano da Matta 3/13
Manufacturer's Championship: Toyota 187, Honda 169, Ford 148
Next Race: Grand Prix of Road America, Aug. 18th, SPEED, 3:00 p.m. EDT