Snow and cold temperatures forced CART and Nazareth Speedway to postpone today's Bosch Spark Plug Grand Prix. The decision, which came at 10:00 a.m. this morning, was done to give the fans a chance to come back and see the race in better ...
Snow and cold temperatures forced CART and Nazareth Speedway to postpone today's Bosch Spark Plug Grand Prix. The decision, which came at 10:00 a.m. this morning, was done to give the fans a chance to come back and see the race in better conditions and allowing teams time to prepare for the cross-country trek they face in preparation for next week's Long Beach race.
The race has been rescheduled for Saturday, May 27. The one-day show will consist of a morning practice session with the race commencing around 1:00 p.m.
PATRICK CARPENTIER -32- Player's Ford-Cosworth - Qualified 10th
"It's too bad we couldn't get the race in. But it's better than racing now. It's not safe. That Ford has too much power. It brakes the car loose in turn three. So, it's probably better for us. Actually, I talked with Tag (Alex Tagliani) this morning and we talked about getting the snowmobiles shipped out here and go racing."
ADRIAN FERNANDEZ -40- Tecate/Quaker State Ford-Cosworth - Qualified 9th
"I think the right decision was made. This is not a good day for Nazareth. There is just not good enough weather. We had such a drastic weather change from yesterday. Yesterday it was in 70 degrees and now it's snowing. We should come back and give the fans a good race."
DO YOU THINK CART MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO POSTPONE THE RACE?
"Definitely. It's so hard on fans to be out here, and don't forget about he crews too. Everybody has to try and get ready for Long Beach. There's just not enough time. It's a little bit difficult."
KENNY BRACK -8- Shell Ford-Cosworth - Qualified 6th
IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR STRING OF MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND RACES IS GOING TO REMAIN IN TACT . . .
"It looks that way. It's a bit of a surprise for us but anything is better than today. It was the right decision for the fans. I think it's very important to let the people who made an effort to come out a chance to come back. They need time to reschedule their plans too and we can't forget about them. Even if we were to run today in these temperatures and this wind, it wouldn't be very pleasant for the fans, the team or the drivers. This gives everyone the chance to reschedule. It's not next weekend, where people may have plans. This gives people time to reschedule things. It was a good decision."
MAX PAPIS -7- Miller Lite Ford-Cosworth
"I wanted to come here the points leader and leave here the points leader and I did that! I always want to race so I am sad about today's weather. We didn't qualify as well as we would have liked to, but I felt we had a good car. Now we can come back with better weather and be competitive. At least I am going to Long Beach with the points lead.""
BOBBY RAHAL, Team Owner, Team Rahal
FROM A LOGISTICAL STANDPOINT, HOW DIFFICULT WOULD IT HAVE BEEN ON THE TEAM TO RUN THIS RACE TOMORROW?
"Well, I don't even know if it's logistical - it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Then what do you do? Then you would be leaving Tuesday and you have to be in Los Angeles in two days, which is almost impossible to do. It's kind of funny that we made the schedule to open up Memorial Day and here we are racing on Memorial Day weekend. So, unfortunately we had to delay this. If we knew it was going to be sunny and warm tomorrow, we would say let's to it tomorrow. But if we did that and it rained again, it would really put us behind the eight ball."
IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS MORNING THAT WHEN THE SERIES COMES BACK IT WILL BE A ONE-DAY SHOW WITH PRACTICE IN THE MORNING AND THE RACE IN THE AFTERNOON. DOES THE ONE-DAY SHOW SORT OF TAKE CART BACK TO ITS ROOTS?
"I don't know if it takes CART back to it's roots but we have had a number of races at Nazareth when we have had one-day shows where we sat and watched the rain on Friday and Saturday and then we went out, practiced, qualified and raced. We have had some great races those years. It's happened more than once. It's going to be fun. The biggest part is that the fans will be able to come back and actually see the race. They won't be working - to race tomorrow, even in the best of conditions with nobody in the grandstands, I don't know what purpose that would serve, so to some back on that Saturday we can get the fans in the seats and be part of Memorial Day weekend."