Â· Big Kmart/Route 66 driver Christian Fittipaldi, 29, scored his second CART FedEx Championship Series victory in today's Marlboro 500 and first in a 500-mile race. It was also his first victory on an oval after winning his first overall CART...
· Big Kmart/Route 66 driver Christian Fittipaldi, 29, scored his second CART FedEx Championship Series victory in today's Marlboro 500 and first in a 500-mile race. It was also his first victory on an oval after winning his first overall CART race at the Texaco/Havoline 200 at Road America in 1999.
· Fittipaldi scored his first CART victory at the Texaco/Havoline 200 at the Road America road course. Today was his 95th CART FedEx start.
· AT FONTANA: Today was Fittipaldi's fourth start at Fontana. His highest previous finish here is third in last year's race where he set the record for fastest lap. Has led a total of 37 laps here. Finished ninth in 1997; finished seventh in 1998; and finished third in 1999.
· Prior to his two wins, Fittipaldi's highest finish came at the 1995 Indianapolis 500 where he finished second to former Formula One World champion Jacques Villeneuve and was awarded "Rookie of the Year." He also finished second in the 1996 Detroit race to teammate Andretti after leading 64 of 72 laps. He scored third-place finishes at Portland & Vancouver ('96); Road America & Australia ('98); in Japan, Rio, Toronto and Fontana ('99); and in Portland ('00).
· It is also the SEVENTH victory for the all-new FORD-COSWORTH XF engine. Max Papis drove to victory in the season-opener in Homestead (3-26); Adrian Fernandez won in Rio (4-30); Andretti won in Japan (5-14); Roberto Moreno won in Cleveland (7-2); Andretti won in Toronto (7-16) and TODAY'S event and Fernandez won in Australia. It was the first victory for Fittipaldi in a LOLA since the team switched back to the chassis after three seasons with Swift. It was also the FIFTH victory for Lola since Andretti won in 1996 at Vancouver. (Montoya scored a win for Lola in Milwaukee, Michigan and St. Louis and Vasser won in Houston.) Newman/Haas Racing ran a Lola chassis from their first season in 1983 to 1996 and in 2000.
· Fittipaldi's victory at Road America in 1999 in a Ford-Swift was the FIRST for an American-made chassis on a ROAD COURSE in 19 years at Road America. The previous win was by Johnny Rutherford at Mid-Ohio in a Chaparral-Cosworth in 1980.
· Fittipaldi scored his first CART pole in his homeland of Brazil on May 14, 1999 in a Ford-Swift. The pole in Rio de Janeiro was the first for an American-made Champ or Indy car chassis on an oval in 17 years.
· The win is the 58th for Newman/Haas Racing (NHR) in their 296th Champ car event since being formed in 1983. NHR is the second most successful team in CART history with 58 victories including today's win. NHR has won 58 races during their 18 seasons of competition compared to Penske's 104 (91 CART) wins in 31 seasons.
· Newman/Haas Racing has scored nine of the last 19 Ford-Cosworth engine victories. (Andretti: Road America & Vancouver in '96; Homestead in '97 & '98, St. Louis in '99, Japan and Toronto in '00 and today's event; Fittipaldi: Road America '99; Scott Pruett scored a win in Australia in '97 and Adrian Fernandez won in Japan and Mid-Ohio in 1998; Herta won in Laguna Seca in 1998 and 1999; Fernandez won the '99 Japan and Fontana races and the 2000 Rio and Australia events; Max Papis won in Homestead '00). <pre> Highest Prior Finish 1st place FONTANA '00, Road America '99 2nd place Indy 500 '95, Detroit '96