Fernandez Racing Pre-Race Notes Honda Indy 300 CART FedEx Championship Series - Round 20 Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia - October 26-28 2.795-Mile Temporary Street Course AdriÃ¡n FernÃ¡ndez, Owner/Driver -- ...
Fernandez Racing Pre-Race Notes
Honda Indy 300
CART FedEx Championship Series - Round 20
Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia - October 26-28
2.795-Mile Temporary Street Course
Adrián Fernández, Owner/Driver -- #51 Tecate/Quaker State/Telmex Honda/Reynard/Firestone:
* Defending race champion
* Recorded his seventh Champ Car career win in Australia last year after starting 17th
* Claimed three top-10 finishes, including two podiums, in seven starts on the streets of Surfers Paradise
* Best starting position was fourth in 1994
* Has scored top-10 finishes in just under half (48%) of his 44 career street course starts
* Two of his seven career wins have come on street circuits - Australia (2000) and Toronto (1996)
On Australia: "Australia is such a beautiful place and it's great to come back as the defending champion. Hopefully we can repeat the day we had last year. It was a nice victory that put me in contention for the championship. Of course our situation is different this year, and we are looking for our first win as a new team. If we can do it in Surfers Paradise, that would be fantastic."
FAST FACTS: Is the only owner/driver in the current CART field ... will be making his 144th career Champ Car start in Surfers Paradise ... his best road/street course start in 2001 was second at Cleveland ... his best road/street course finish this year was third at Toronto and Elkhart Lake ... his best oval start in 2001 was third at Chicago ... best oval finish to date this season was fifth at Milwaukee ... recorded his last win at the 2000 Honda Indy 300 in Australia ...has seven career Champ Car wins ...finished second in the championship last season ... tied for fourth most-winning driver in the current CART field.
Shinji Nakano, #52 Avex/Alpine Honda/Reynard/Firestone:
* Will be making his second appearance in Surfers Paradise
* Qualified 21st last year, but retired with a mechanical problem on Lap 38 and was credited with 21st place
* Recorded three points-paying finishes in his 10 street course Champ Car starts to date
On Australia: "Unfortunately I had an engine problem last year in Surfers and didn't finish the race. I like the circuit and the city. There is a great atmosphere around the race and a lot of fans. I am going to Japan before Australia for a little bit of rest, and to hopefully get rid of some of the bad luck we have had this season."
FAST FACTS: Will be making his 36th career Champ Car start in Surfers Paradise ... his best road/street course start in 2001 was ninth at Detroit ... his best road/street course finish this year was ninth in Toronto ... his best oval qualifying in 2001 was fifth at Texas ...best oval finish to date this season was eighth in Motegi ... is in his sophomore season of Champ Car competition with four top-10 finishes to his credit ...has the benefit of a teammate for the first time in his CART career ...hails from Formula One with 33 F1 starts and nine top-10 finishes in two years of competition.