CHAMPCAR/CART: FedEx Championship Series Happenings, 1999-11-24

* PAUL NEWMAN TO HEAD CHARITY EFFORT Actor Paul Newman, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing, has been designated as the chairman and national spokesman of the Committee to Encourage Corporate Philanthropy, a venture launched last week with the goal...

* PAUL NEWMAN TO HEAD CHARITY EFFORT

Actor Paul Newman, co-owner of Newman/Haas Racing, has been designated as the chairman and national spokesman of the Committee to Encourage Corporate Philanthropy, a venture launched last week with the goal of generating at least $15 billion annually in charitable donations from corporate America. Noting that a steady increase in corporate pretax profits has been accompanied by a decline in the percentage of those profits which are donated to charity, Newman called for a reversal of the trend. "We're in the '90s; it's flush times," Newman said. "The country is waiting; it's scanning the horizon hoping for some institution to distinguish itself ... to be the standard bearer for social and civic responsibility. What an opportunity! And you only have to reach out and grab it." Already, the committee includes current and former CEOs from such companies as ABC/Capital Cities, Bloomberg, Chase Manhattan Bank, Estee Lauder, Fannie Mae, Goldman Sachs Group, GE Capital, Hallmark Cards, Johnson & Johnson, Kmart, Lucent Technologies, Sara Lee and Xerox. More than two dozen CEOs have already joined the committee and another 25 are expected to join soon. Newman has long been active in fund raising for charity and regularly donates all profits from his Newman's Own food products company to charitable causes.

* CART CHARITIES PREPARING FOR INAUGURAL HOLIDAY SEASON

At the beginning of the 1999 CART FedEx Championship Series season, CART reorganized its charitable activities with the creation of CART Charities. For 1999, CART designated The Buoniconti Fund as its lead charity and the Miami-based organization, which seeks a cure for paralysis, will receive 90 percent of the net proceeds of 1999 donations to CART Charities. The remaining 10 percent will be allocated equally to the Championship Auto Racing Auxiliary (CARA) and to a capital fund within CART Charities. CART is encouraging its fans to help spread the holiday spirit and benefit CART Charities by displaying CART Holiday stickers on their packages and mail. A total of 21 CART Holiday stickers are available by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope to CART Charities, 755 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 800, Troy, MI 48084. Any donor who gives $100 or more will receive a special CART Charities collector pin, while supplies last. All contributions are tax deductible.

* CONGRATULATIONS ...

To Della Penna Motorsports driver Richie Hearn and longtime girlfriend Brenda Nields, who were married on Saturday in southern California. Attendees from the CART community included drivers Jimmy Vasser and Bryan Herta; Steve Horne, president of Forsythe Championship Racing, and his wife, Christine; and Della Penna Motorsports team owner John Della Penna. Motley Crue lead singer Vince Neil sang "Without You" for the couple's first dance as man and wife. The newlyweds also held a money dance, proceeds of which will benefit the Greg Moore Memorial Fund.

* CORRECTION

The 2000 season schedule released by CART on Nov. 5 contained an error in the title of the September 10 event at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, Calif. The correct title is the Honda Grand Prix of Monterey Featuring the Shell 300. CART apologizes for the error.

-CART-

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series IndyCar
Drivers Jimmy Vasser , Richie Hearn , Paul Newman , Steve Horne , Greg Moore