DETROIT (May 11, 2000) - IMG Motorsports, owner and operator of the19th Annual Tenneco Automotive Grand Prix of Detroit, began construction this week on The Raceway on Belle Isle Park. This six-week project is in preparation for the yearly CART...
DETROIT (May 11, 2000) - IMG Motorsports, owner and operator of the19th Annual Tenneco Automotive Grand Prix of Detroit, began construction this week on The Raceway on Belle Isle Park. This six-week project is in preparation for the yearly CART FedEx Championship Series race -- set for June 16-18.
The entire set-up and teardown of the temporary racing circuit encompasses nine weeks -- six weeks to build and three weeks to teardown. To construct the 2.346-mile temporary street course, the track will require the following material to be installed/removed:
* 2,315 blocks (8,000 pounds each) which is equivalent to 9.4 miles of block for a total of 37,040,000 pounds of concrete.
* 51,000 feet of fence (32,000 feet of 10' debris and 19,000 feet of 6' spectator) which totals approximately 9.65 miles.
* 96,000 feet of fence cable which would stretch over 18 miles.
* 9 grandstands for spectators and hospitality customers.
* Over 20,000 tires used for trackside safety barriers.
* More than 2,000 signs are placed throughout the Belle Isle Park temporary circuit.
"This undertaking is quite extensive and labor-intensive. It really is amazing how many different people touch this event," stated Graham Hearns, Vice President of Operations for IMG Motorsports. "Executing the entire set-up and teardown of the circuit will require over 75 different vendors spending thousands of hours to make it all happen. Without the assistance of these vendors and the support of the city, we could not put on this world-class event."
To order tickets to the Tenneco Automotive Grand Prix of Detroit, call 1-800-498-RACE or 313-870-7223. Also, tickets can be purchased at any Ticketmaster location. Any one interested in being a part of the race as a volunteer should contact the Detroit Grand Prix Association at 313-872-3472. Visit www.imgmotorsports.com for further event and ticket information.