* Cristiano da Matta, 27, won his SECOND CART FedEx Championship Series event today and FIRST while driving the No. 6 Texaco/Havoline/Kmart Toyota-Lola in for his first season with Newman Haas Racing. This is also his first CART win on a ...
* Cristiano da Matta, 27, won his SECOND CART FedEx Championship Series event today and FIRST while driving the No. 6 Texaco/Havoline/Kmart Toyota-Lola in for his first season with Newman Haas Racing. This is also his first CART win on a road/street course after driving to his first overall CART victory on the oval track in Chicago in 2000. This is his third season with Toyota power and first in a Lola Champ car Chassis. The last time he drove a Texaco-sponsored car, he scored four wins and four poles en route to the 1993 Brazilian Formula Ford Championship.
* BACK-TO-BACK: da Matta brought Newman/Haas Racing its second consecutive victory after Fittipaldi won the 2000 season-ending Marlboro 500 in Fontana, Calif.
* EIGHTH SEASON-OPENING VICTORY FOR NHR: da Matta scored the eighth win in a season-opener for the team since first competing in 1983.
* IN MEXICO: Makes CART history with the first win on the new road course in Monterrey.
* SECOND WIN: Da Matta scored his second win in CART today as well as his FIRST on a road course. His previous win was in Chicago of 2000 where he defeated Michael Andretti by 1.6 seconds on the one-mile oval.
* 6 OVERALL FOR TOYOTA: Today's victory marked the sixth for Toyota since joining the series and second by da Matta. Juan Montoya won races for Toyota in Milwaukee, Michigan, and St. Louis while Jimmy Vasser won the Houston race and da Matta won in Chicago - all in 2000.
* IN 2000: He had eight, top-five performances in 20 starts. Did not finish six of 20 events due to an array of reasons and scored a 10th place sfinish in eason standings.
* EIGHT CHAMPIONSHIPS TO DATE: Da Matta started his racing career in go-kart racing and won eight championships. His championship win in the Indy Lights series in 1998 caught the attention of CART Champ Car teams and earned him a ride with Arciero-Wells which was later renamed PPI Motorsports.
* CHAMPIONSHIPS WON: 1998 - Indy Lights Champion after leading the series with four victories, three poles and eight podium finishes; also ran in wand on the Annual 12 hours Granja Viana Go-Kart Race; 1994 - Brazilian Formula 3; 1993 - Brazilian Formula Ford; 1992 - Sao Paulo Karting Championship; 1991 - Brazilian Karting Championship; 1991 and 1990 - Minas Gerais State Karting championship.
FAST STATS: Last Race WON by da Matta: Chicago (7-30-00). Held-off Michael Andretti by 1.6-seconds.
Last Race WON by da Matta on a ROAD COURSE: MEXICO Last Race WON by da Matta on an OVAL: Chicago (7-30-00). Last Podium FINISH by da Matta on a ROAD COURSE: 3rd place in Cleveland (7-2-00)