Brack, Toyota on pole at England; three Toyotas in top four. - Kenny Brack (Target Toyota) won his first pole of the season and was one of three Toyotas in the top-four and four in the top six in qualifying for Saturday's Rockingham 500 in ...
Brack, Toyota on pole at England; three Toyotas in top four.
- Kenny Brack (Target Toyota) won his first pole of the season and was one of three Toyotas in the top-four and four in the top six in qualifying for Saturday's Rockingham 500 in Rockingham, England. Series points leader Cristiano da Matta (Havoline Toyota) will start third, next to fellow Toyota pilot Tora Takagi (Pioneer Toyota) in the second row, while Bruno Junqueira (TargetToyota) will start in the third row in the sixth position.
- Today's pole position is the 10th of the season for a Toyota-powered car and the 21st overall pole position for Toyota in Champ Car competition. Toyota will now be shooting for its third win in four CART oval races this season in tomorrow's Rockingham 500.
- Today's pole marks the 17th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on top in the 26 CART qualifying sessions almost triple the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with six fast times, while Ford has had three.
- Kenny Brack's pole today is his first of the season and the seventh of his Champ Car career. It marks the second straight year that Brack will start on the pole in England after being awarded the top spot a year ago based on points after qualifying was cancelled due to track conditions. His last pole won in qualifying came was at Road America in 2001.
- Today's pole marks Kenny Brack's third front row start of the season, his eighth top-five and his 13th top-10 qualifying effort.
- A pole today could be an omen of things to come for Kenny Brack. The Swede has won four Champ Car races in his career all coming on ovals. In addition, he finished first (Germany) and second (England) in CART's two most recent European races a year ago.
- With a third today in qualifying, Cristiano da Matta has now qualified in the top 10 in every race this season the only driver in CART to do so this year. Da Matta has qualified in the top three in 11 of 15 races this season.
- Tora Takagi earned his best-ever CART qualifying position today with a fourth today. He also started third last season at Michigan based on practice times after qualifying was washed out. Takagi now has seven top-10 starts this season
- Bruno Junqueira's sixth today marks his 14th top-10 start of the season in 15 races. It's the fourth straight race he's qualified in the first three rows.
- With the bonus point for winning today's pole position, Toyota extends its Manufacturer's Championship lead to 35 points over second-place Honda, 249-214.
Toyota England Final Qualifying:
1. Kenny Brack
3. Cristiano da Matta
4. Tora Takagi
6. Bruno Junqueira
12. Christian Fittipaldi
14. Oriol Servia
16. Scott Dixon