Da Matta puts Toyota on Cleveland provisonal pole - Toyota-powered cars finished one, three and five in provisional qualifying today at Cleveland. Toyota has had three of the top five qualifiers at each of the last four road courses. - ...
Da Matta puts Toyota on Cleveland provisonal pole
- Toyota-powered cars finished one, three and five in provisional qualifying today at Cleveland. Toyota has had three of the top five qualifiers at each of the last four road courses.
- Toyota-powered cars have now been the fastest qualifiers in each of the past seven road course qualifying sessions and fastest in eight of the last nine.
- With today's provisional pole, Cristiano da Matta earned his CART-high seventh qualifying point this season. Da Matta also won the provisional pole at Long Beach, was the pole-sitter at Laguna Seca and won both the provisional and final pole at Portland and Toronto Da Matta is guaranteed to start no worse than on the outside of the front row for Sunday's main event. The Havoline Toyota driver stretches his series points lead to 49 over second-place Bruno Junqueira. Da Matta will be looking for his fourth career pole position in final qualifying tomorrow after winning the pole at the previous three road course events.
- Cristiano da Matta's provisional pole today marks the ninth consecutive road course qualifying session that he's finished in the top two.
- Scott Dixon's third in qualifying today marks a personal season-best. The New Zealander has climbed up to sixth in points and has yet to finish below seventh since joining the Target Chip Ganassi Racing team at Milwaukee in early June.
- Christian Fittipaldi was fifth in provisional, coinciding with his qualifying fifth at the last three road course events at Laguna, Portland and Toronto.
- After being the fastest in morning practice and qualifying today, Toyota-powered cars have now turned the fastest laps in 19 of the 21dry Friday and Saturday practice and qualifying sessions run at CART's six road course events this season.
- The pole position for Sunday's main event will be decided in final CART qualifying, Saturday from 1:45-2:45 p.m.
Toyota Drivers Cleveland Provisional Qualifying
1. Cristiano da Matta
3. Scott Dixon
5. Christian Fittipaldi
8. Bruno Junqueira
11. Kenny Brack
13. Townsend Bell
14. Tora Takagi
Grand Prix of Cleveland, July 14, CBS, 1:30 p.m. EST/10:30 p.m. PST