- Cristiano da Matta's pole today is Toyota's fifth pole in the last seven races and fourth straight on a road course. Overall, it's the 16th for Toyota in Champ Car competition. With the bonus point for winning the pole, Toyota extends its ...
- Cristiano da Matta's pole today is Toyota's fifth pole in the last seven races and fourth straight on a road course. Overall, it's the 16th for Toyota in Champ Car competition. With the bonus point for winning the pole, Toyota extends its Manufacturer's Championship lead to 36 points over Honda.
- Toyota-powered cars have now been the fastest in eight consecutive road course qualifying sessions (two sessions a weekend over the past four road course events). Overall, Toyota-powered cars have been the fastest in 21 of 23 road course Friday and Saturday practice and qualifying sessions run in dry conditions this season.
- Cristiano da Matta's pole today is his fourth straight on a CART road course and the fourth of his Champ Car career. He missed a fifth pole when he lost out by .003 seconds at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach earlier this season. With the point as today's top qualifier, he sweeps the qualifying bonus points for the weekend and now has 120 points and leads the championship by a 50 points over second-place Bruno Junqueira.
- Cristiano da Matta has now been in the top-two in 10 consecutive road course qualifying sessions, earning a series-high eight bonus points in the process. For the season, da Matta has earned 13 bonus points (poles, laps led) - more points than a driver would earn for a fourth-place race finish.
- Cristiano da Matta has led every session of the weekend and seven of the last eight practice and qualifying sessions run over the past two weekends.
- With a fourth today, Christian Fittipaldi earned his fifth top-five starting position of the season and made it two Newman/Haas Toyota's qualifying in the top-five for the fifth time this season.
- Pole-sitter Cristiano da Matta and Bruno Junqueira are the only CART drivers to start in the top 10 in each race this season. They also rank as the two top qualifiers on an average start basis. Junqueira qualified eighth today - his lowest mark of the season.
- Toyota will be looking for its ninth win in the last 11 CART events in tomorrow's Grand Prix.
Toyota Drivers Cleveland Final Qualifying
1. Cristiano da Matta
4. Christian Fittipaldi
8. Bruno Junqueira
9. Kenny Brack
10. Tora Takagi
12. Scott Dixon
15. Townsend Bell
Grand Prix of Cleveland, July 14, CBS, 1:30 p.m. EST/10:30 p.m. PST