AdriÃ¡n FernÃ¡ndez, Owner/Driver -- ...
Adrián Fernández, Owner/Driver -- #51 Tecate/Quaker State/Telmex Honda/Lola/Bridgestone:
Fernández Looking to Finish the Job in Chicago
* Recorded his career best one-mile oval start (pole position) and finish (second) at the last one-mile oval race (Milwaukee, June 2)
* Will be making his third Champ Car start at Chicago; missed the inaugural race in 1999 due to a broken right wrist from a race practice accident at Detroit
* Best finish at Chicago was fifth in 2000
* Best starting position at Chicago was third last year
* Has finished over half (58%) of his 24 career one-mile oval starts in the top 10
"I am looking forward to Chicago. We had a strong run in Milwaukee, and we hope our setup will work as well in Chicago. Our last two races haven't been very good [failing to finish at Laguna Seca and Portland due to on-track incidents] but, even though the results don't show it, we feel we have improved as a team in a lot of other areas. We hope to continue our good performance from Milwaukee in Chicago, and to try to finish the job this weekend. It's a good track and a lot of fans come to see us. We're hoping for a good race."
FAST FACTS: Only owner/driver in current Champ Car field...tied for fourth among active drivers in career wins with seven... will be making his 152nd Champ Car career start at Chicago, and is ranked 10th in CART all-time career starts... currently sits 13th in the championship with 28 points... four of his seven Champ Car career wins were on ovals ^Ö Rio (2000), Japan (1999/1998) and Fontana (1999).
Shinji Nakano, Driver -- #52 Alpine/Mitsuba Honda/Lola/Bridgestone:
Nakano Optimistic for a Good Result
* Recorded his career best starting position at Milwaukee earlier this month with a sixth-place qualifying run
* Will be making his third Champ Car start at Chicago
* Started and finished 16th at Chicago last year
* Has 17 oval starts to his credit, including six starts on one-mile ovals
* Posted career best oval finishes of eighth at Motegi (2001) and Homestead (2000)
"I like the Chicago track. We found a good setup for the short oval tracks at Milwaukee, and hopefully we can use this setup in Chicago as well. At an oval track, the most important thing is to have a good setup. Hopefully what we found at Milwaukee will work at Chicago as well. I had a good car during the race last year, but a yellow flag caught us out. Hopefully we will have better luck this year."
FAST FACTS: Will be making his 44th career Champ Car start at Chicago... is in his third season of Champ Car competition, and second year with Fernández Racing... currently sits 19th in the championship with four points.