Celis to get second IndyCar outing at Portland
Former Force India F1 reserve driver Alfonso Celis Jr will have his second IndyCar outing of the 2018 at Portland next month.
The Mexican, who made his debut in the series at Road America in June, will rejoin Juncos Racing for the road course race in Portland, the penultimate round of the season on September 2.
Celis qualified in 21st and finished 20th in the Road America event but, despite the result, Juncos said the 21-year-old had made a strong impression on the team.
"I'm very happy to be able to make my dream come true again and return to my second IndyCar race," Celis said. "This is a great way to continue building a project that I think has a lot of future and that I'm extremely excited about.
"I'm very motivated about racing in Portland, we have worked together on developing the set-up of the car both on track and in the sim and I feel very proud to be able to do all this work together with Juncos Racing.
"Before my debut in Road America I had been out of the car for a while and it was also my first time in an IndyCar, so this second time around should be even better. I've been training as hard as I can and I feel ready for this challenge."
Team boss Ricardo Juncos added: "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to run Alfonso again this season. We had a great weekend overall with him back at Road America His knowledge and feedback of the car provided our team with very valuable and important data.
"I am confident he will put on another great weekend and we look forward to getting him back into the car later this month. I want to thank Alfonso, his family, and Toni Calderon for helping making this possible and for putting their trust in our organisation."
Celis is the third driver used by Juncos this year alongside Rene Binder and Kyle Kaiser.
IndyCar to adopt F1-style driver eligibility guidelines
IndyCar could return to Watkins Glen by 2021