Alonso Indy 500 idea was originally a joke, says Brown

McLaren executive director Zak Brown has revealed that the original idea of Fernando Alonso competing at the Indianapolis 500 this year was initially a joke.

Alonso Indy 500 idea was originally a joke, says Brown
Fernando Alonso announces his deal to race in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 in an Andretti Autosport run McLaren Honda car
Start: James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda leads
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso and Zak Brown, Executive Director, McLaren Technology Group, announce Fernando's deal to race in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 in an Andretti Autosport run McLaren Honda car
Start: James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda leads
Fernando Alonso and Zak Brown, Executive Director, McLaren Technology Group, announce Fernando's deal to race in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 in an Andretti Autosport run McLaren Honda car
Alexander Rossi, Herta - Andretti Autosport Honda
Fernando Alonso and Zak Brown, Executive Director, McLaren Technology Group, announce Fernando's deal to race in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 in an Andretti Autosport run McLaren Honda car
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso announces his deal to race in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 in an Andretti Autosport run McLaren Honda car
Takuma Sato, A.J. Foyt Enterprises Honda
Fernando Alonso, McLaren, is interviewed
Townsend Bell, Andretti Autosport Honda

Alonso shocked the world on Wednesday when he announced he would be skipping the Monaco Grand Prix this year so he could line-up in a McLarеn entry at the Indy 500.

With the deal having only been finalised in the last few days – following talks over the Chinese GP weekend – it has emerged that the original proposal for an Indy 500 assault was proposed in jest before the start of the season.

Brown said: “It is one of those where one of your jokes has some truth in it. I said to Fernando pre-Australia: ‘Hey, one of these days we should do Indy together.’

“I threw it out there to see what type of reaction I would get. He joked back and I thought I had thrown the bait in the water and would leave it at that.

“But when Fernando and I were with Eric [Boullier, racing director] and Honda in Australia, it came up in conversation one of the mornings. 

"Fernando brought it up and said: ‘Honda had an unbelievably great history at the Speedway and I have a dream to win the Triple Crown. I wanted to do Le Mans in the past and would love to do Indy with you.’”

Following the chat over the Melbourne weekend, Alonso said the idea crystallised further in the following days when he held a chat with Brown while he was on a photo shoot in Los Angeles.

The Spaniard said: “I received a call from Zak about different things, not this one, and in one moment of the conversation, it came out again the Indy 500 possibility. At that point I was happy that McLaren was considering this Indy 500 entry, as they had won in the past a couple of times.

was happy when Zak joined the team last year but I was even happier when Zak was telling me these plans for the future. But in a way I was thinking for 2018, as obviously it was only 55 days until the Indy 2017.”

Matters accelerated quickly, however, over the Chinese Grand Prix when on Friday night, Alonso, along with his manager Luis Garcia Abad, met with Brown and Boullier for dinner on Friday night to discuss the plan further.

Alonso added: “We talked a bit more seriously about this, and we decided if this is going to happen the decision had to be made by tomorrow [Saturday]I said I will sleep tonight on Friday and on Saturday I will make a decision.

On Saturday I arrived at the circuit and said, ‘Yes, this is a good decision for everyone: a win-win for myself, for F1, the fans, everyone'.

“Two days ago on Monday, everything became real. I was not completely sure on Saturday in China if it was still possible to make it so quick, but we had a huge help from Indy, from the Speedway, from the promoter and together with Zak’s contacts and Andretti Autosport. They helped everything become real in two days.”

Brown said that it was only after Alonso gave the green light in China that he properly went about pursuing sorting the Indy entry.

“When Fernando said, ‘Let’s go do the Indy 500 with Honda’, I thought, 'Now, man, I have to pull this off'," said Brown. "And we did.

"There was a lot of hard work from IndyCar helping us being the scenes, Michael Andretti too, and it wouldn’t have happened without Honda’s support."

Alonso has not yet finalised his plans to test the IndyCar Dallara DW12, but hopes to drive the Dallara simulator soon.

He will also attend the IndyCar race at Alabama on April 23 to get closer to the Andretti Autosport team, and better understand the cars and series.

shares
comments
Can Alonso live up to past F1 champions' Indy 500 campaigns?
Previous article

Can Alonso live up to past F1 champions' Indy 500 campaigns?

Next article

Michael Andretti to call strategy for Alonso in Indy 500

Michael Andretti to call strategy for Alonso in Indy 500
Load comments
Ranking the top 10 IndyCar drivers of 2021 Prime

Ranking the top 10 IndyCar drivers of 2021

In an enthralling 2021 IndyCar campaign, the series bounced back from its COVID-19 truncated year prior and series sophomore Alex Palou defeated both the established order and his fellow young guns to clinch a maiden title. It capped a remarkable season with plenty of standout performers

IndyCar
Nov 22, 2021
How Marcus Ericsson finally unlocked his potential in IndyCar Prime

How Marcus Ericsson finally unlocked his potential in IndyCar

Marcus Ericsson enjoyed a breakout year in the IndyCar Series in 2021, winning twice and finishing sixth in points with Chip Ganassi Racing. How did he finally unlock the potential that was masked by five years of toil in Formula 1 with Caterham and Sauber/Alfa Romeo?

IndyCar
Nov 16, 2021
Remembering Dan Wheldon and his last and most amazing win Prime

Remembering Dan Wheldon and his last and most amazing win

Saturday, Oct. 16th, marks the 10th anniversary Dan Wheldon’s death. David Malsher-Lopez pays tribute, then asks Wheldon’s race engineer from 2011, Todd Malloy, to recall that magical second victory at the Indianapolis 500.

IndyCar
Oct 16, 2021
Have Harvey and RLL formed IndyCar’s next winning match-up? Prime

Have Harvey and RLL formed IndyCar’s next winning match-up?

Jack Harvey’s move to Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing sparked plenty of debate, but their combined strength could prove golden, says David Malsher-Lopez.

IndyCar
Oct 15, 2021
Why Kyle Kirkwood is America's new IndyCar ace-in-waiting Prime

Why Kyle Kirkwood is America's new IndyCar ace-in-waiting

Kyle Kirkwood, the record-setting junior formula driver, sealed the Indy Lights championship last weekend. But despite an absurdly strong résumé and scholarship money, his next move is far from clear. By David Malsher-Lopez.

IndyCar
Oct 6, 2021
2021 IndyCar title is just the start for Ganassi's newest star Prime

2021 IndyCar title is just the start for Ganassi's newest star

Alex Palou has captured Chip Ganassi Racing's 14th IndyCar drivers' championship, and in truly stellar manner. David Malsher-Lopez explains what made the Palou-Ganassi combo so potent so soon.

IndyCar
Sep 28, 2021
Why Grosjean's oval commitment shows he's serious about IndyCar Prime

Why Grosjean's oval commitment shows he's serious about IndyCar

One of motorsport’s worst-kept secrets now out in the open, and Romain Grosjean has been confirmed as an Andretti Autosport IndyCar driver in 2022. It marks a remarkable turnaround after the abrupt end to his Formula 1 career, and is a firm indication of his commitment to challenge for the IndyCar Series title  

IndyCar
Sep 24, 2021
IndyCar’s longest silly-season is still at fever pitch Prime

IndyCar’s longest silly-season is still at fever pitch

The 2021 IndyCar silly season is one of the silliest of all, but it’s satisfying to see so many talented drivers in play – including Callum Ilott. David Malsher-Lopez reports.

IndyCar
Sep 11, 2021