Press Notes, Friday (1-19) 18 April, 1997 1. Good morning and welcome to the first day of official activity for the NAPA AUTO PARTS Grand Prix of Atlanta Presented by Royal Purple. Today's activitiesinclude practice for all series and ...
Press Notes, Friday (1-19)
18 April, 1997
1. Good morning and welcome to the first day of official activity for the NAPA AUTO PARTS Grand Prix of Atlanta Presented by Royal Purple. Today's activitiesinclude practice for all series and qualifying for Saturday's Speedvision Cup race. The weekend features four Professional SportsCar Racing, Inc. (SportsCar) championships competing in four different races. A 2-hour Exxon World SportsCarChampionship for Exxon World SportsCars, 2-hour Exxon Supreme GT Series presented by Virgin Interactive race, 3-hour SPEEDVISION Cup for Stock SportsCars race,and the 30-minute Advance Auto Atlanta Challenge for the Black Magic Pro Series.
2. The following people are here to help you: Road Atlanta David Fulmer Media Director Professional SportsCar Racing, Inc Ed Nicholls Director of Communications SPEEDVISION Cup Dave Arnold
3. ENTRY LIST CHANGES
EXXON WORLD SPORTSCAR CHAMPIONSHIP CAR CLASS CHANGE 3 WSC ADD Eduardo Dibos, Peru; DELETE Neto Jachomowitz. Peru 4 WSC ADD Neto Jachomowitz, Peru; DELETE Eduardo Dibos 15 WSC CHANGE to #63 and Buick Kudzu 17 WSC NEW ENTRY Oldsmobile Courage Jacek Mucha, Canada; Martin Guimont, Canada; Jerome Policand, France 43 WSC ADD Eliseo Salazar, Santiago, Chile
EXXON SUPREME GT SERIES PRESENTED BY VIRGIN INTERACTIVE CAR CLASS CHANGE 28 GTS-3 ADD Marvin Epps, Carmel, CA; Eric Norris, Dallas, TX 61 GTS-2 NEW ENTRY Porsche 911 Turbo, Franz Konrad, Germany; Philipp Peter, Austria 42 GTS-3 SCRATCH ENTRY 62 GTS-2 NEW ENTRY Porsche 911, Dirk Layer, Vail, CO; Kelly Collins, Corona Del Mar, CA; Stewart Tetreault, Simburg, CT 76 GTS-3 ADD Tim Moser, DELETE Kelly Collins 86 GTS-3 NEW ENTRY Danny Marshall, Danville,VA; Steve Marshall, Christianburg, VA 00 GTS-1 NEW ENTRY Klaus Bytzek,Ontario, Canada; Kurt Bytzek, Ontario, Canada 02 GTS-2 NEW ENTRY Porsche 911, Zak Brown, Indianapolis, IN; Michel Ligonnet, France
SPEEDVISION CUP FOR STOCK SPORTSCARS 05/55 GS ADD Bertrand Gachot, France; Simon Gregg, Jacksonville, FL 79 GS David Haskell, Plantation, FL 91 T ADD Rob Vining, Buffalo, NY; A.J. Frank, Bluffton, SC 93 S NEW ENTRY Honda Prelude VTEC, Larry Galbo, Tulsa, OK
BLACK MAGIC PRO SERIES CAR WSR NEW ENTRY Barry Watkins, W. Palm Beach, FL
4. The first SportsCar session is a 40-minute practice session for the SPEEDVISION Cup for Stock SportsCars (previously known as the Endurance Championship). Officials from SportsCar and Speedvision announced last week that the cable television network will be the sponsor of the series through the year 2000. As the series sponsor, SPEEDVISION has its name atthe top of the windshield on all cars in the series. To distinguish the four classes, each class has SPEEDVISION in a different color -- Grand Sports is white, Sports is yellow, Touring is red and Compact is green.
5. The first practice session -- a 40-minute session for the SPEEDVISION Cup -- is run without serious incident ... The fastest cars in the session in each class are: Grand Sports -- Varde/Tremblay, #70 Mazda RX-7 Turbo, 1:32.228=98.364 mph Sports -- Fitzgerald/Lazarro, #81 BMW 328is, 1:35.404=95.090 mph Touring -- Dubinsky/J. Nonnamaker, #41 Mazda MX-6, 1:40.405=90.354 mph Compact -- Schwartzott/Danaher, Honda Civic del Sol, 1:41.622=89.272 mph The times for the Grand Sports, Sports and Touring cars are better than the existing track records.
6. Practice session number one for Exxon World Sports Cars is run without major incident, other than Eric van de Poele pulling the #1 Oldsmobile R&S MK-III off course just before turn one after apparently losing an engine. The crew reports that the team's sister car, the #4 Oldsmobile, has also experienced an engine problem, although they think that it was caused by driver error.
The top two in the session were both under the existing track record: 1.) Montermini, #30 Ferrari 333 SP, 1:09.208=131.08 mph 2.) Weaver, #16 Ford R&S MK III, 1:09.390=130.73 mph
7. The first session for the Exxon Supreme GT Series Presented by Virgin Interactive takes place with no major incidents other than having to stop the session to clean up oil on the track. The fastest in each class in the session are: GTS-1 -- Scott Maxwell, #27 Ford Mustang Cobra,1:18.953=1:20.617mph GTS-2 -- Konrad/Peter, #61 Porsche 911, 1:22.313=123.063mph GTS-3 -- Auberlen/Hill, #10 BMW M3, 1:23.386=123.710mph
SCOTT MAXWELL, #27 FORD MUSTANG COBRA, Fastest in the first practice session -- This is our first time racing in Atlanta and we are making a lot of changes to the car. We are experimenting with gear ratios, right now. We'll see how it goes in the next session
8. The Porsche 911 GT1 is making its first appearance in North America this weekend. Klaus Bytzek of Ontario, Canada has entered his #00 GT1 for himself and his brother Kurt Bytzek, also from Ontario. The car was seventh fastest in its first official practice session, with a time of 1:22.877=1:23.169 mph.
Selected specs: -Mid engine, 3200 cc, stroke 74.4 mm, bore 95 mm -6 cylinder boxer, producing approximately 600 bhp at 7200 rpm -Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads -Water-cooled block and head -Two KKK exhaust gas turbochargers with 35.7 mm -Tag 3.8 electronic engine management -Six-speed, fully synchronized gearbox -Double wishbone front and rear suspension with pushrods in the rear. -Power steering
9. The first practice session for the Black Magic Pro Series is run without incident. The fastest in the session is #83 Mike Davies, with a time of 1:29.682=101.15 mph.
MIKE DAVIES, #83 World Sports Racer: We had the car setup great for today's practice and it was handling really well. It's a beautiful day and the wind had died down, so I managed to run faster times. Hopefully, I can even better my time and set another track record in qualifying
10. The second practice session for the SPEEDVISION Cup for Stock SportsCars is run with two incidents. The #27 (GS) Ford Mustang Cobra R goes off course on drivers right just before turn 12 and rolls over. Driver is out of the car and walks across the track to the medical center. Also in turn 12, but on drivers left, #51 (C) goes into the tire barrier. Driver is out of the car.The fastest in the session in each class are: GS-- VanCleef/Goldsborough, #80 Toyota Supra Turbo, 1:33.000=97.539 mph S -- McMillin/Hill, #9 BMW 328is, 1:36.266=94.238 mph T -- Nonnamkaer/Pate, #43 Mazda MX-6, 1:39.896=90.814 mph C -- Schwartzott/Danaher, Honda Civic del Si, 1:43.580=87.584 mph
11. ENTRY LIST CHANGES
EXXON SUPREME GT SERIES PRESENTED BY VIRGIN INTERACTIVE CAR CLASS CHANGE 8 GTS-3 NEW ENTRY: Porsche 911, Peter Kitchak, Excelsior, MN and Kevin Buckler, Sonoma, CA 27 GTS-1 ADD Jason Priestley, Los Angeles, CA 28 GTS-3 CHANGE Car number to #12, ADD Marvin Epps, Carmel, CA and Jeff Barker, Hesperia, CA
SPEEDVISION CUP FOR STOCK SPORTSCARS CAR CLASS CHANGE 6 T NEW ENTRY: Chevrolet Berreta GTZ, ADD Ara Sergenion, Gainesville, GA; Eric Foss, Duluth, GA; Mike Cottrell, Atlanta, GA 54 GS ADD Scooter Gabel, Tampa, FL and Terry Borcheller, Phoenix, AZ; DELETE Craig Conway and Bo Lemler 63/65 T ADD Darren Young, Los Angeles, CA and DELETE Mark Webber 72 GS NEW ENTRY: BMW M3, ADD Renae Villeneuve, Camarillo, CA; John McCann, Austin, TX; T.C. Kline, Columbus, OH; Randy Pobst, Melbourne, FL 76 GS SCRATCH ENTRY 82 T ADD Kris Skavnes, Rockaway Beach, NJ and Taz Harvey, Danville, CA 86 S ADD Kris Skavnes, Rockaway Beach, NJ and Peter Cunningham, West Bend, WI 90 GS ADD Craig Conway, Daytona Beach, FL and Bo Lemler, Bonita, CA; DELETE Scooter Gabel and Terry Borcheller 96 S NEW ENTRY Honda Prelude VTEC, ADD Ken Grammer, Alabaster, AL and Joel Solly, Buffalo, NY 01 GS ADD Pete Halsmer, Bloomfield Hills, MI
12. The Exxon World SportsCars take to the track for their second practice session of the day. The session runs without incident. The fastest in the session is Fermin Velez in the #3 Ferrari 333 SP, with a fast lap of 1:10.508=128.66 mph.
13. The Exxon Supreme GT Series Presented by Virgin Interactive series second practice session of the day is run without any major incidents. The fastest in each class are: GTS-1 -- Schramm/Hayner, #91 Chevrolet Camaro, 1:18.663=115.32 mph GTS-2 -- Konrad/Peter, #61 Porsche 911 Turbo, 1:21.664=111.08 mph GTS-3 -- Auberlen/Hill, #10 BMW M3, 1:23.634=108.47 mph
14. Qualifying begins for the SPEEDVISION Cup Grand Sports, Sports, Touring andCompact cars. The fastest qualifiers for tomorrow's race -- all new track records -- are:
15. David Daughtery wins the pole in the Compact class #89 Nissan 200SX, the ninth pole of his career in the SPEEDVISION Cup for Stock SportsCars. "We didn't decide to come to Road Atlanta until Monday because we didn't have any cars ready. This 200SX is the same car that won the Prototype class and finished second overall in the Nelson Ledges 24-hour last year. Nissan is very interested in the 200SX and encouraged us to get it ready. Our other 200SX is at a shop about 20 minutes from here getting a new engine; I'll start that car from the rear tomorrow."
16. Bill Pate wins the Touring class pole in the #43 Planet Earth Mazda MX6, the sixth pole of his career in the series. "We haven't had a clean lap in three days here because of all the cars here for this race. But in qualifying, a Volkswagen GTI punched a big hole in the air for us and helped us draft him. The huge turnout of cars is simply because Professional SportsCar Racing and our new sponsor, Speedvision, have done so much to dress up the series and make it desirable."
17. Derek Hill wins the Sports class pole in the #9 J.J. Crisps/McMillin Motorsports BMW 328is, the second of his Stock SportsCar career. "Anthony Lazarro was quick in one of the other BMWs and was faster than I was at the start, but we got a good lap toward the end and beat him. Jumping back and forth between this car and the BMW M3 I drive in the Exxon Supreme GTS-3 class isn't a hard adjustment; the noise of the two cars is very different and that helps. The Stock SportsCars take about half a lap to adjust."
18. Eric Van Cleef wins the Grand Sports pole in the #88 Toyota Motorsports Toyota Supra Turbo, the eighth of his career. "We've been struggling with the handling on the car because this track loads the suspension much different than at Sebring or Daytona. Carrera Shocks, which is based here in Atlanta, has helped us a lot and gave us what we needed this weekend. I'm bringing a lot of friends from my adopted home of Huntsville, Ala., and I hope we can put on a good show for them."
19. The final session of the day, the second practice session for the Black Magic Pro Series, finishes without incident. The fastest in the session is #10 David Tenney, 1:30.190=100.58 mph.
This concludes tonight's press notes.