CHAMPCAR/CART: Silly Season ends for Hundertmark, Popielarz

Las Vegas, October 30, 2000 -- Following a busy weekend of racing for both professional race car driver Terri Hundertmark and CART chief mechanic Dave Popielarz met at the Circus-Circus wedding chapel here in Las Vegas to close the deal on a ...

Las Vegas, October 30, 2000 -- Following a busy weekend of racing for both professional race car driver Terri Hundertmark and CART chief mechanic Dave Popielarz met at the Circus-Circus wedding chapel here in Las Vegas to close the deal on a negotiation that has been ongoing this season. Despite a rain-delay, the agreement was reached at the scheduled time and date.

Terri, a professional race car driver competing in the Women's Global GT Series for Michelin, raced at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Sunday for her final Women's Global GT race of the season during the weekend's Grand Prix of Las Vegas. Dave, the chief mechanic for Mo Nunn Racing, was set to end his season in Fontana, California the same day. However, wedding plans were interrupted as rain fell on the California Speedway.

The Monday wedding plans were touch-and-go following the red flag that postponed the end of the CART race until Monday morning. However, as if delivered by Lady Luck herself, a blown engine in the Mo Nunn entry early after the restart of the race let their wedding plans continue as scheduled.

"It was an interesting night, knowing it was raining in Fontana," offered the bride. "But, we knew we'd get the deal done. We just didn't know when or where!"

"When they said there was a 40% chance of rain on Monday, I knew there was a 60% chance that we'd get married on time," said the groom.

"I guess we all knew that these two had to 'do it their way.'  Viva-Las
Vegas!"  said their wedding singer, Elvis.

Following their honeymoon in Hawaii, the couple will continue to live in Indianapolis.

www.MsSpeed.com

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series IMSA Others , IndyCar
Drivers Mo Nunn