* At 10:35 a.m., lap 651, the ...
* At 10:35 a.m., lap 651, the #20 race leader (EFR) is losing about 10 seconds per lap to second-place #91+ Viper (Wendlinger), which projects to a lead change within seven laps.
* 10:40 a.m., lap 652, #23U LEADER pits, substantial oil leak reported on right side but crew can't locate it immediately. Turns out leak is coming from the valves. Crew goes to work on it but put too many men over the wall, will get a time penalty when car returns to race.
* At 10:40 a.m., lap 652, #91+ Viper takes another seven seconds off Dyson's lead. Now one minute behind now. #53A pits, fuel only. Driver change. M.T. SMITH out, SCHEUREN out.
* At 10:41 a.m., #95 returns to race.
* At 10:42 a.m., the #91+ Viper closes gap even more to 53 seconds on lap 653, then to 41 seconds on lap 41.577 seconds on lap 654. At 10:45 a.m., on lap 655, #91+ pits for fuel, tires, no driver change. #74 pits on lap 655.
* At 10:45 a.m., #4 pits for fuel, tires, pits report clutch slipping, returns to circuit but almost immediately pulls off in the Turn 1 banking. Towed back.
* At 10:52 a.m. #5 Cadillac pits for fuel, tires, driver change. TAYLOR out, ANGELELLI in.
* At 10:55 a.m., lap 659, #91+ cuts another 10 seconds off lead as #20 continues to slow and must pit within a few minutes.
* At 10:58 a.m., lap 660, #91+ cuts another 18 seconds off lead of #20.
* At 10:59 a.m., lap 661, #14+ retires with broken driveshaft.
* NEW RACE LEADER #91+ Viper passes #20 on the short chute leading to the tri-oval on lap #664. The #20 car had led 433 laps for 14 1/2 hours. The last time a production-based car won the ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA was in 1994 when a Nissan 300ZX driven by Paul Gentilozzi among others.
* The most laps ever completed in this race was by a Nissan R91 CP in 1992 when it went 762 at an average speed of 112.897 mph. The least number of laps completed occurred in 1973 when a Porsche Carrera went just 394.
* At 11:05 a.m., on lap 666, #3+ pits for fuel, tires, FELLOWS stays in. At 11:10 a.m., #93+ pits, for fuel, tires. Driver change. ARCHER OUT, DONOHUE in. On lap 668, #6 pits, fuel, tires, driver change. WALLACE out, LEITZINGER in.
* AT THE 22-HOUR MARK, the leaders are:
Sports Racer: #20, 1st overall, 664 laps #6, 6th overall, 616 laps #5, 25th overall, 576 laps
GTO: #91, 2nd overall, 664 laps #3, 3rd overall, 662 laps #93, 4th overall, 660 laps
GTU: #23, 7th overall, 611 laps #56, 10th overall, 603 laps #7, 11th overall, 599 laps
AGT: #84, 31st overall, 495 laps #09, 39th overall, 397 laps #13, 50th overall, 288 laps
* At 11:25 a.m., lap 676, the #91+ race leader has lapped the second-place #20 car. At 11:27 a.m., the #3+ Corvette also passes #20 to take over second place overall and second in GTO class. On the same lap, #56 GTU car moves in ninth placer overall and first in class because the #23 car remains in the pits with a serious oil leak. At the same time, the #7U car moves onto the same lap (611) as the #23 car.
* With 11/2 hours remaining, the overall Top 10 are: #91+, #3+, #20, #93+, #92+, #6, #45+, #46, #56U and #7U. Six of the top 10 cars are GTO class.
* At 11:31 a.m., lap 678, #4+ retires.
* At 11:40 a.m., lap 683, RACE LEADER #91+ pits for fuel, tires, makes driver change. WENDLINGER gets in the car and DUPUY get out.
* #6 pulls off course and the driver exits the car. The team is presently sixth place overall, eight laps ahead of the seventh place GTU entry #45, but most assuredly will fall in the rankings before the Checkered Flag flies.
* At 11:55 a.m., #3+ pits and DONOHUE hands the car over to ARCHER.
* At 12 p.m., 23 hours into the race and on Lap 693, the SportsRacer class leader is #20 (3rd overall and four laps behind the race leader), followed by #6 (sixth overall but off course and apparently through for the day; trailing #20 by 54 laps). #5 is third in class and 15th overall, 84 laps behind the class leader. The GTO class leader is also the race leader, #91+; leading by one lap over the second place overall GTO entry of #3+. #93+ is third in class and third overall, four laps behind the leader. The GTU class leader is #56U (ninth overall And leads by one lap over #7U, followed by #07U, five laps off the class leader's pace. The AGT leader is #09A, 39th overall and leading the class by 99 laps over #53A, 49th overall. Third in class is #13A, 51st overall and 109 laps behind the class leader.
* YELLOW FLAG waves at 12:05 p.m. after #60 and #53 make contact at Turn 1. #60 JACOBS pits the car and exits, giving up the ride to ALGRAM while the crew performs 30 minutes of patching to the bodywork to get the car running before the end of the race. #59 continues on course.
* #93+ pits under the first Yellow Flag lap and takes on fuel and tires. #3+ pits on the second Yellow lap and takes on fuel and tires.
* GREEN FLAG waves at 12:22 p.m. to resume the race. #91+ pits as the race goes Green and takes on gas and tires.
* At 12:30 p.m., 23( hours into the race, #91+ leads by one lap (707 total) over #3+ with 706. #93+ is third with 703 laps, fourth is #20 (702), and #92+ (676).
* At 12:45 p.m., 23 3/4 hours into the race, the running order is #91+ leading, followed by #3+ in second, #93+ in third, #20 in fourth, and #92+ in fifth.
* WHITE FLAG waves at 12:59 p.m. for leader #91 WENDLINGER on Lap 722.
* CHECKERED FLAG waves at 1 p.m. for the winning team of the ROLEX 24 HOURS AT DAYTONA, KARL WENDLINGER, OLIVIER BERETTA, and #DOMINIQUE DUPUY in a GTO class Dodge Viper GTSR. Second place goes to the GTO Chevrolet Corvette Team of JUSTIN BELL, RON FELLOWS, and CHRIS KNEIFEL, finishing 32.7 seconds behind the winners, establishing the closest one-two finish in the ROLEX 24 HOURS history. Third place is earned by another GTO class Dodge Viper GTSR Team piloted by DAVID DONOHUE, JEAN PHILIPPE BELLOC and NI AMORIM, four laps down to the winners.
* The SportsRacer class was won by the #20 Ford Dyson Racing R & S MKIII team of ROB DYSON, ELLIOTT FORBES-ROBINSON, MAX PAPIS, and JAMES WEAVER. The team dominated most of the race after a spirited duel with the Ferrari 333SP team of MAURO BALDI, FREDY LIENHARD, and DIDIER THEYS in the early going before an engine fire waylaid the Ferrari. Not only did the Dyson Team win the class, they led a total of 433 laps out of the total 723 laps run in this year's race. The team also logged the fastest lap of the race, clocking a 1:42.541 on the ninth lap of the race, with JAMESWEAVER at the wheel. Finally, the team established the largest lead of the race, commanding a 13-lap advantage just after the start of the 14th hour.
* The GTU class was won by the #56 GTU Porsche GT3R team of GABRIO ROSA, FABIO ROSA, LUCA DRUDI. The team finished eighth overall in final tally with 658 laps.
* The AGT class team was won by the #84 Chevrolet Camaro team of ANDY McNEIL, JOHN FINGER, DOUG MILLS, and RICK MAUGERI.
* The Team Seattle of #66U raised $345 for each lap completed in this year's ROLEX 24 HOURS AT DAYTONA. The team completed 617 laps for a total of $212,685 Seattle Children's Hospital.
* The Team Viper victory was the first ever overall for Michelin at the ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA. The win follows overall wins last year at LeMans, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 10-Hour at Petit LeMans.
- Grand-Am -