Robert F. "Bob" Snodgrass, Jr. - September 25, 1942 - April 24, 2007 JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (April 25, 2007) - Last evening while at home Robert F. Snodgrass, Jr. peacefully passed away at the age of 64. Mr. Snodgrass, a native of Elmira, New ...
Robert F. "Bob" Snodgrass, Jr. - September 25, 1942 - April 24, 2007
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (April 25, 2007) - Last evening while at home Robert F. Snodgrass, Jr. peacefully passed away at the age of 64. Mr. Snodgrass, a native of Elmira, New York, was President and CEO of Brumos Motor Cars, Inc., Brumos Porsche, Lexus of Jacksonville and Brumos Racing.
Bob is survived by his wife Susan and sons Harris M. Snodgrass and Robert F. Snodgrass, III. Bob Snodgrass called Jacksonville, Florida his home for the past 35 years and was an integral part of Jacksonville's businesses and philanthropic community as well as a legend in sports car racing in America and around the world.
As President of Brumos Motor Cars (Mercedes-Benz), Brumos Porsche, and Lexus of Jacksonville, Bob ran one of the most successful automotive groups in the nation. His dealerships continually won top honors from the manufacturers as well as the Jacksonville community.
- Brumos Motor Cars, Inc. was named by Mercedes-Benz as "Best of the Best"
- Brumos Porsche awards included the distinction of "Premier Dealer" for 16 years
- Lexus of Jacksonville has been "Elite of Lexus" for 14 years
- Brumos was nominated as one of Jacksonville's "Best Places to Work" for 2006 and 2007
- Bob Snodgrass was Jacksonville Sheriff's Office "Citizen of the Year" for 2007
- Jacksonville Cultural Council Corporate Award for 2007
- Sports Illustrated A.I.A.D.A. Dealer of the Year 1994 (one of five)
Bob Snodgrass was a true believer in a business's responsibility to give back to the community.
There were many charities that Bob and Brumos championed:
- RITA (Research is the Answer) to prevent and cure Breast Cancer
- Greyhounds As Pets
- Police Athletic League
- Boy Scouts of America
- Jacksonville Zoo
- Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Officer of the Month
Snodgrass was an icon of sports car racing in the United States and Europe. Bob's racing career started in 1948 at his first race at Watkins Glen, New York as a spectator. The rest of his career and contributions are staggering in numbers. Some of his more notable achievements:
- Team Manager, Brumos Racing 1991-1994 all resulting in championships for Porsche.
- Inducted into the Goodyear Legends Walk of Fame 2007 at Daytona International Speedway
- Winner of the John Gordon Bennett Award as America's outstanding historic car racing driver 1996
- Executive Board, International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen
- Board member, Automobile Competition Committee United States
- Vice Chairman, Grand American Road Racing Association
- Team Owner, Brumos Racing Daytona Prototypes
- HSR Rolex Endurance Champion 1995, 1996 1997 1999 2000 and 2001
All of Bob's family, friends, employees and peers will sorely miss him. His influence and innovation in the automotive retailing business and racing industry will never be forgotten.