DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - February 3 - Between hours 15 - 17, the Gentilozzi Jaguar and the Bytzek Porsche GT1 raced nose-to-tail, swapping the lead for the GTS class several times and working into the top five overall. But that all ended just before...
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - February 3 - Between hours 15 - 17, the Gentilozzi Jaguar and the Bytzek Porsche GT1 raced nose-to-tail, swapping the lead for the GTS class several times and working into the top five overall. But that all ended just before hour 17 when the Bytzek car lost a turbo and could not continue.
Although this was end of Bytzek's run, it provided good fortune to another Porsche trying to climb to the top, the #38 Champion Lola Porsche of Andy Wallace, Hurley Haywood, Sascha Maassen and Lucas Luhr. With six hours left in the race, that car is now fifth overall and within sight of the overall lead. In order to win, however, they would some help.
"Since our bad start, everyone on the team is determined to show our team owner, our customers, our drivers, and ourselves that the effort to prepare for this weekend was not in vain. The crew is working extra hard to keep our top drivers on the track," said Champion crew chief Brad Kettler.
Two teams dominate the standings in GT, as the #66 Racers Group Porsche 911 GT3 RS of Bernhard/Bergmeister/Buckler/Schrom continues to lead the class, while #44 Orbit Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R with Kester/Schultheis/Trembley/Wellman has moved into second place.
The second Racers Group car, #68 Porsche of Schumacher/Neam/Nagel/Zacharias still is third, while the #43 Orbit Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RS of Kyle Petty/Peter Baron/Leo Hindery/Mike Borkowski is fourth.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 3, 2002) - End of Hour #18 - GT Top Teams Overall leader completed 538 laps
1.(66) Kevin Buckler, Sonoma, Calif.; Michael Schrom, Ghent, N.Y.; Timo Bernhard, Germany, Jorg Bergmeister, Germany, GT, The Racers Group Porsche GT3 RS - 538 laps
2. (44) Gary Schultheis, Boca Raton, Fla.; Anthony Kester, Michigan City, Ind.; Sylvain Tremblay, Sunrise, Fla., Selby Wellman, St. Petersburg, Fla., GT, Orbit Racing Porsche GT3 R - 494 laps.
3. (68) Robert Nearn, Great Britain; BJ Zacharias, Cincinnati, Ohio; Larry Schumacher, West Chester, Ohio, Robert Nagel, Clearwater, Fla., GT, The Racers Group Porsche GT3 R - 491 laps.
4. (43) Peter Baron, San Mateo, Calif.; Leo Hindery, Hillsborough, Calif.; Kyle Petty, Randleman, N.C., Mike Borkowski, Scottsdale, Ariz., GT, Orbit Racing Porsche GT3 R - 490 laps
5. (86) Stephan Ortelli, Monaco; Hans Fertl, Germany; Romain Dumas, France; N. Amorim, Portugal; Freisinger Motorsport Porsche 911 GT3 R, GT -488 laps
6. (24) Joao Barbosa, Portugal; Thierry Perrier, France, Michel Neugarten, Monaco, GT, Perspective Racing Mosler MT900R - 486 laps
7. (40) Brady Refenning, Stuart, Fla.; Carlos De Quesado, Miami, Fla, Catesby Jones, Hillsboro Beach, Fla., Jake Vargo, Memphis, TN, GT, Alegra Motorsports BMW M3 - 486 laps