DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - February 3 - Just as they were feeling comfortable in first place for the second time during the race, disaster struck the ...
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - February 3 - Just as they were feeling comfortable in first place for the second time during the race, disaster struck the #57 Seikel Motorsport Porsche 911 GT3 RS of Plumb/Collin/Burgess/Shep, putting them way back in the standings, and seeming spoiling their chance to win the GT class.
Right after nine hour mark, there was a multi-car accident at turn #1, and the #57 Porsche caught the back of an AGT car and smashed two of the car's three radiators. The pit stop cost the team 20 laps.
The #66 Racers Group Porsche 911 GT3 RS of Bernhard/Bergmeister/Buckler/Schrom is now back in the lead, with a two-lap lead on the #43 Orbit Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RS of Kyle Petty/Peter Baron/Leo Hindery/Mike Borkowski and the #79 Fitzgerald/Jackson/Matos /Franchitti Porsche 911 GT3 RS. The #66 car is also running ninth overall.
The #38 Champion Porsche Lola continues to climb in the standings, now running tenth overall, with the leaders in front of it continuing to experience problems.
In GTS, the #00 Empringham/Spenard/Bytzek Porsche GT1 now has a three-lap lead on the Gentilozzi Jaguar as the Trans-Am car has had overheating problems. The #00 car is currently sixth overall.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 3, 2002) - End of Hour #12 - GTS and GT Top Teams Overall leader completed 359 laps
1.(00) David Empringham, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Richard Spenard, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, GTS, Bytzek Motorsports Porsche GT1 - 342 laps.
2.(3) Paul Gentilozzi, Lansing, Mich.; Brian Simo, Carlsbad, Calif.; Scott Pruett, Auburn, Calif., Michael Lauer, Greenwich, Conn., GTS, Rocketsports Racing Jaguar - 340 laps.
3. (08) Duncan Huisman, Cor Euser - both from The Netherlands, and Calum Lockle, from Great Britian, Marcos, GTS, Marcos Racing International - 327 laps.
1.(66) Kevin Buckler, Sonoma, Calif.; Michael Schrom, Ghent, N.Y.; Timo Bernhard, Germany, Jorg Bergmeister, Germany, GT, The Racers Group Porsche GT3 RS - 335 laps
2. (43) Peter Baron, San Mateo, Calif.; Leo Hindery, Hillsborough, Calif.; Kyle Petty, Randleman, N.C., Mike Borkowski, Scottsdale, Ariz., GT, Orbit Racing Porsche GT3 R - 332 laps.
3. (79) Michael Fitzgerald, Fountain Hills, Ariz.; Justin Jackson, Alpharetta, Ga.; Manuel Matos, , Marino Franchitti, Scotland, GT, J3 Racing Porsche - GT3 R - 332 laps.
4. (68) Robert Nearn, Great Britain; BJ Zacharias, Cincinnati, Ohio; Larry Schumacher, West Chester, Ohio, Robert Nagel, Clearwater, Fla., GT, The Racers Group Porsche GT3 R - 332 laps.
5. (44) Gary Schultheis, Boca Raton, Fla.; Anthony Kester, Michigan City, Ind.; Sylvain Tremblay, Sunrise, Fla., Selby Wellman, St. Petersburg, Fla., GT, Orbit Racing Porsche GT3 R - 329 laps.
6. (24) Joao Barbosa, Portugal; Thierry Perrier, France, Michel Neugarten, Monaco, GT, Perspective Racing Mosler MT900R - 321 laps.
7. (72) David Murry, Atlanta, Ga.; Jack Lewis, Atlanta, Ga.; Keith Fisher, Hamburg, NY; Tommy McGlynn, Orono, Maine, Jack Lewis Racing Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, GTS - 320 laps