Week 4 Daytona Repave Update: Paving Begins On The Historic Tri-Oval DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The paver crossed the start/finish line for the first time this week but work on the historic 2010 Daytona Repave project is far from finished. The...
Week 4 Daytona Repave Update: Paving Begins On The Historic Tri-Oval
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The paver crossed the start/finish line for the first time this week but work on the historic 2010 Daytona Repave project is far from finished.
The first paving took place in the historic tri-oval on Wednesday where the drainage layer was put down.
Here are some other notable achievements in the fourth week of work on the Daytona Repave:
* The second layer of asphalt on the outer pass on the Superstretch has been paved and approximately 1,400 tons of asphalt has been put down on the Superstretch
* On the Frontstretch, the second layer of asphalt has been paved on the outside pass with the drainage layer on the inside pass.
* As of Thursday, approximately 2,200 tons of asphalt has been put down on the Frontstretch
* Asphalt has been removed from Turn 3 and the grading continues
* All safety fence, SAFER barrier and lights have been removed from the high banks
* The filling of dirt behind the walls on upper rim road in Turns 1 and 2 is complete
On Monday, Aug. 2 at 9 a.m., Daytona International Speedway will offer race fans the opportunity to purchase a ticket to the 2011 Daytona 500 as well as attain a piece of asphalt.
The special offer will run through midnight Aug. 8.
Race fans that have renewed their 2011 DAYTONA 500 tickets or purchased between June 18 and Aug. 1 will also receive this offer, which is limited to one piece of asphalt per account holder.
Race fans can take advantage of this special offer by calling 1-800-PITSHOP or visiting www.daytona500.com
About the Daytona Repave: Lane Construction, which repaved other ISC race tracks including Talladega Superspeedway, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Richmond International Raceway and Darlington Raceway, will use an estimated 50,000 tons of asphalt to repave more than 1.4 million square feet of Daytona International Speedway and has a target completion date of Jan. 1, 2011.
Speedweeks 2011 will kick off with the 49th annual Rolex 24 At Daytona GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race on Jan. 29-30 and conclude with the 53rd annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 20, the prestigious season-opening event to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Race fans will be able to view the progression of the historic repaving project from a section of the Oldfield Grandstands, which will open free to the public. Track tours will also be available through attraction admission to Daytona 500 Experience.