Week 14 Daytona Repave Update: Paving Of The Wearing Course In Turns 3 And 4 Complete DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. --In the 14th week of the Daytona Repave project, the paving of the fourth and final layer of asphalt -- the wearing course -- is now ...
Week 14 Daytona Repave Update: Paving Of The Wearing Course In Turns 3 And 4 Complete
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. --In the 14th week of the Daytona Repave project, the paving of the fourth and final layer of asphalt -- the wearing course -- is now complete on more than half of the legendary 2.5-mile tri-oval.
The paving of the wearing course is now complete in high banks of Turns 3 and 4, through the tri-oval and start/finish line to the entrance of Turn 1.
Other updates from the 14th week of work on repaving Daytona International Speedway include:
* All the old asphalt in Turns 1 and 2 have been removed. Grading and compacting will take place once the demolition process is complete.
* Installation of the under-drain system at the base of Turns 3 and 4 has begun.
* Paving of the backstretch apron has begun
* Grading and milling of the frontstretch apron has begun
* Renovation work in the twin tunnels of Turn 4 continues. A new driving surface and sidewalls have been installed in the east tube and the demolition work has begun on the west tube.
About the Daytona Repave: Lane Construction, which repaved other ISC race tracks including Talladega Superspeedway, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Richmond International Raceway and Darlington Raceway, will use an estimated 50,000 tons of asphalt to repave more than 1.4 million square feet of Daytona International Speedway and has a target completion date of Jan. 1, 2011.
Speedweeks 2011 will kick off with the 49th annual Rolex 24 At Daytona GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race on Jan. 29-30 and conclude with the 53rd annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 20, the prestigious season-opening event to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Race fans can view the progression of the historic repaving project from a section of the Oldfield Grandstands, which will open free to the public. Track tours will also be available through attraction admission to Daytona 500 Experience.
Daytona International Speedway also is posting updates on the project at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/repave.
For tickets and more information on Daytona International Speedway events, visit www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or call 1-800-PITSHOP.