UK: AKA Cobra Oulton Park race notes

SECOND WIN OF 2007 FOR JEREMY METCALFE Oulton Park, Cheshire, UK - 25 June 2007: AKA Cobra driver, Jeremy Metcalfe, took a close-run victory at Oulton Park yesterday, taking the chequered flag just two-tenths ahead of...


Oulton Park, Cheshire, UK - 25 June 2007: AKA Cobra driver, Jeremy Metcalfe, took a close-run victory at Oulton Park yesterday, taking the chequered flag just two-tenths ahead of Duncan Tappy. Adam Christodoulou joined Jeremy on the podium after the race with a strong third-place finish for the leader of the Graduate Cup standings. Nathan Caratti had his best weekend's results so far this season and Chris Holmes fought back from a difficult qualifying session to take seventh place in race one.

As at Croft, the grid for race two was set according to the driver's second fastest time in the single qualifying session on Saturday.

Jeremy Metcalfe: "It's fantastic to be back on the top step of the podium. It has felt a long time since we won during the opening round at Brands Hatch, but hopefully now we can take this momentum forward. It was a good race today and after I got the lead at the start I knew we could win. Duncan (Tappy) was quicker than me in the middle part of the lap, down at the chicane, but I was a lot quicker at Druids, which gave me the breathing space I needed over the rest of the lap. He caught me up a lot into Knickerbrook but it's easier to be good into the chicane when someone is ahead of you as you have a car to gauge your braking by. The start was good, I had a little bit of wheel-spin but nothing too bad and as soon as I had passed Dean (Smith) I just had to block Duncan out into Old Hall and make sure I was precise and made no mistakes. It's great to have won again and I hope this is the start of some much better luck for us."

Adam Christodoulou: "I went to Oulton with high expectations, but after struggling in the wet on Friday those expectations were dampened a little. I usually go well in the wet so it was a bit of a mystery. The qualifying session was dry and I was running third for a while, but then didn't improve when others did and had to settle for seventh place on both grids. Race one didn't begin the way I hoped it would as I bodged the start up, losing three or four places, so I went around the outside at turn one and got straight back up to eighth. With Jeremy (Metcalfe) and Riki (Christodoulou) going out I inherited sixth, which was pretty lucky considering the start I had. We made a few changes to the car for Sunday's race as we had plenty of time to go through the data from race one. I made an amazing start: totally nailed it! I was fourth out of the first corner after going around the outside again. I was able to inch up on Jeremy and Duncan (Tappy) for the first few laps but then they slowly got away from me. The last two laps were interesting as I had to defend third place from (Dean) Smith so my heart was racing. I was glad to see the flag and very happy with the job we did this weekend as it was a real boost to my confidence."

Nathan Caratti: "All of the Friday practice was done in the wet so we went into qualifying on Saturday without having been on track in the dry. The circuit got better and better throughout the session and my last two laps were my fastest. Race one didn't get off to the best start for me. Coming around on the warm-up lap I was warming my tyres when I felt something pull in my back. It was very sore but once the race started the adrenalin kicked in and I was able to blank it out. The start itself was okay but Chris (Holmes) got past me. Later on Riki (Christodoulou) returned to the track after a spin and we had a coming together at the hairpin which let Borthwick through in my eighth place. I got a good start in race two and got up to fifth. I came under a lot of pressure from (Will) Bratt and (Dean) Smith who both got by me and after that I cruised round to seventh. Overall I'm pleased as that was my best weekend so far this year."

Chris Holmes: "Testing was tough in the wet but I was confident prior to qualifying as I had been fifth at the official pre-season test. I didn't manage to eke out the best from the car and the tyres though and was placed 10th and 12th which was not where I wanted to be. I got a mega start in race one, passing Nathan and Adam into the first corner but Adam got me back soon after so I was in ninth place. When Jeremy had problems I got up to eighth before a lonely middle section of the race as I had pulled away from Nathan but not caught the leading pack. I managed to pass Riki (Christodoulou) into the hairpin though and take seventh so I was pleased with that result. Race two was a bit of a disaster. As we went down to the hairpin I was in the middle of the pack, and when we all braked someone hit me hard in the back, which pushed me into the car in front, breaking my front wing. The corners at Oulton really rely on the front of the car working properly so it was incredibly difficult to get the car to turn in. I managed to get back up to 14th but then my right rear suspension went which spun me around and all I could do then was limp to the end. The second race was a shame as we made good progress in race one. I'm now looking forward to the Brands Hatch test before we head off for the Donington rounds."

The next two rounds of the Formula Renault UK Championship are at Donington Park in three weeks' time.

-credit: aka cobra

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula Renault
Drivers Jeremy Metcalfe , Duncan Tappy , Nathan Caratti , Adam Christodoulou