Massa says he had Jaguar Formula E talks

shares
comments
Massa says he had Jaguar Formula E talks
By:
Co-author: Jonathan Noble
Feb 28, 2017, 11:08 AM

Williams Formula 1 driver Felipe Massa held talks with the Jaguar Formula E team over a switch to the electric single-seater series.

Felipe Massa
Mitch Evans, Jaguar Racing
Felipe Massa, Williams FW40
Adam Carroll, Jaguar Racing
Felipe Massa, Williams FW40, is wheeled back into his garage by mechanics
Felipe Massa, Williams Martini Racing
Felipe Massa, Williams FW40

Massa announced his intention to retire from F1 at the end of the 2016 season after Williams signed Lance Stroll to partner Valtteri Bottas for 2017.

Nico Rosberg's shock retirement in December then led to Mercedes signing Bottas as his replacement, with Massa returning to Williams in his place.

It was reported earlier this year Massa had to go back on a preliminary agreement to join Jaguar's 2017/18 Formula E line-up to facilitate his F1 U-turn.

Speaking at the end of the opening day of F1 pre-season testing at Barcelona, Massa said that was not true but admitted there had been conversations with the British manufacturer.

"It was something I was thinking for my future," he said when asked by Motorsport.com about Jaguar and Formula E. "I read I had a contract – I didn't have anything, to be honest. For sure [I had] some talks."

Last month, after being confirmed at Williams for 2017, Massa completed a test in Jaguar's Formula E car.

He said he wanted to honour that commitment because it was arranged before he committed to F1.

"My plan was to keep racing," Massa said. "So I had already decided to do this test, to know the car. It was a nice feeling – a completely different car and mentality of so many different things.

"It was nice learning a different category of car."

Massa kicked off his F1 2017 preparations by completing 103 laps and setting the third-fastest time day one at Barcelona, and insisted he felt fully prepared despite spending the first few weeks of the off-season retired.

He said he had "no idea what's going to happen, if I'm going to stay [in F1 beyond 2017]".

"I had the same mentality as I had last year," he added. "If I can stay, if I feel fit, that I'm competitive, that I can do a good job and have some good opportunities to stay in F1, maybe I'll stay."

Next article
Major sponsor Allianz quits F1, joins all-electric Formula E championship

Previous article

Major sponsor Allianz quits F1, joins all-electric Formula E championship

Next article

Gutierrez to replace Ma at Techeetah Formula E squad

Gutierrez to replace Ma at Techeetah Formula E squad
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula E
Drivers Felipe Massa Shop Now
Teams Jaguar Racing Shop Now
Author Scott Mitchell
Be first to get
breaking news