Andretti Formula-E Team Beijing ePrix race report
After a second-place podium for No. 27 driver Franck Montagny and a superb fourth from fellow countryman Charles Pic in the No. 28 Spark - Renault SRT_01 E challenger in Beijing, Andretti Formula-E Team is leading the inaugural FIA Formula E Championship.
The one-day event, comprising two practice outings, four qualifying sessions and a 50-minute race around the bespoke city street circuit (3.453m), made for an exhilarating maiden spectacle in the new electric series.
Michael Andretti, Team Owner, Andretti Formula-E Team: "Congratulations to Alejandro (Agag) on an event that was an overwhelming success. I'm very proud to be able to be a part of this exciting new series and to help shape the future of motorsport. Franck (Montagny) and Charles (Pic) did a great job and I'm happy to come away from the event leading the team championship."
Franck Montagny, No. 27 Spark-Renault SRT_01 E
• Qualified fifth and started eighth after being assessed a three-place grid penalty for twice crossing the white line on pit exit
• Posted his fastest time of the race on Lap 24 of the 25-lap race at 1:46.640 with a speed of 150.3 Kph
• Stood on the podium for the inaugural Beijing ePrix with a second-place finish
• Earned 18 points towards the FIA Formula E drivers' championship
"I would like to say thank you to the organizers of the Formula E series, because it really was a fantastic day. I have driven many different cars in many different series and I have to say that this is one of my best times in a car! The team has done a fantastic job, at testing and here in Beijing. Andretti Formula-E is an American team, based in Donington, UK, so it is not easy to start a team in a different country and everyone did very well. My teammate and I work well together and I had really, really good fun."
Charles Pic, No. 28 Spark-Renault SRT_01 E
• Started today's race from the seventh grid position
• Record his fastest lap on Lap 23 of 25 with a time of 1:46.730 at a speed of 150.2 Kph
• Came to the checkered flag in the fifth position, but was moved to fourth after a penalty assessed to ABT
• Formula E Team driver Daniel Abt
• Earned 12 driver points towards the championship
"It was a good race. I had an issue on the first lap and small contact with Franck (Montagny), but after that the pace in the race was okay. Considering I had one day of testing with the team, I am very happy with the result we had today. The pace was not as good as the winner and we need to work on that for the next races, but I think that we have made a very good start."
Andretti Formula-E Team