Venezuelan denies rivals after race long fight.
Johnny Cecotto claimed an emotional win this morning in the sprint race at Spielberg, making a blistering start to lead from lights to flag and brushing off attacks from his rivals all race long to take the top spot of the podium for Trident from the Racing Engineering pairing of Stefano Coletti and Ferrari Academy driver Raffaele Marciello.
The Venezuelan made up for yesterday’s disappointments by making a storming start from P3 to mug front row starters Alexander Rossi and Mitch Evans, who were split at the first corner by the fast charging Racing Engineering drivers. Further back there was trouble for Felipe Nasr, who was caught up in an incident as the field shook itself out at turn two, and was soon back in the pits and out of the race.
Marciello picked off his teammate and was quickly chasing after Rossi, slicing by the American with an opportunistic dive up the inside at turn 5 on lap 6 before heading after Cecotto, while Coletti was biding his time as he tried to protect his tyres from the increased wear in the hot conditions: he was in good shape to take advantage when Rossi started to struggle with a brave move around the outside ten laps later before taking the fight to those ahead.
Palmer extended his lead in the drivers’ championship over Nasr, 117 points to 84, with Cecotto third on 76 points ahead of Leal on 50, Stoffel Vandoorne on 43 and Coletti and Arthur Pic on 41 points, while DAMS leads Carlin in the teams’ title by 149 points to 134, ahead of Trident on 98 and Racing Engineering on 66 points as the field turns its attention to the next round at Silverstone in just two weeks time.
Spielberg – Sprint Race
Driver - Team
1. Johnny Cecotto - Trident
2. Stefano Coletti - Racing Engineering
3. Raffaele Marciello - Racing Engineering
4. Mitch Evans - RT RUSSIAN TIME
5. Alexander Rossi - EQ8 Caterham Racing
6. Jolyon Palmer - DAMS
7. Julian Leal - Carlin
8. Takuya Izawa - ART Grand Prix
9. Sergio Canamasas - Trident
10. Stéphane Richelmi - DAMS
11. Conor Daly - Venezuela GP Lazarus
12. Rene Binder - Arden International
13. Arthur Pic - Campos Racing
14. André Negrao - Arden International
15. Stoffel Vandoorne - ART Grand Prix
16. Artem Markelov - RT RUSSIAN TIME
17. Rio Haryanto - EQ8 Caterham Racing
18. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs - Rapax
19. Kimiya Sato - Campos Racing
20. Simon Trummer - Rapax
21. Daniiel De Jong - MP Motorsport
22. Tio Ellinas - MP Motorsport
23. Daniel Abt - Hilmer Motorsport
24. Facu Regalia - Hilmer Motorsport
25. Nathanaël Berthon - Venezuela GP Lazarus
Not Classified: Felipe Nasr Carlin
Fastest Lap: Stefano Coletti (Racing Engineering) – 1:16.629 on lap 22