Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

NASCAR moves up start time for New Hampshire Cup race due to weather threat

NASCAR Cup
New Hampshire
NASCAR moves up start time for New Hampshire Cup race due to weather threat

Lewis Hamilton baffled by "completely different" Ferrari as Charles Leclerc nails "best" lap of 2026

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Lewis Hamilton baffled by "completely different" Ferrari as Charles Leclerc nails "best" lap of 2026

Franco Colapinto reveals details of Milan car robbery during F1 summer break

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Franco Colapinto reveals details of Milan car robbery during F1 summer break

F1 Dutch GP: Saturday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Saturday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Mick Schumacher on IndyCar future: "I know where I’m going to be"

IndyCar
Washington, D.C.
Mick Schumacher on IndyCar future: "I know where I’m going to be"

Max Verstappen: Red Bull still lacking grip and balance after F1 Dutch GP sprint qualifying

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Max Verstappen: Red Bull still lacking grip and balance after F1 Dutch GP sprint qualifying

"Difficult to stop the car" - Honda's new engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Difficult to stop the car" - Honda's new engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Kris Meeke to make European Rally Championship return in Wales

ERC
Kris Meeke to make European Rally Championship return in Wales

Vettel says Shield made him “dizzy” in test run

Sebastian Vettel said he got “a bit dizzy” when he debuted Formula 1’s Shield cockpit device in opening British Grand Prix practice.

Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, cockpit shield
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, cockpit shield
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, cockpit shield
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, cockpit shield
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, cockpit shield
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, cockpit shield
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H and cockpit shield

Vettel completed a single installation lap and then returned to the garage where Ferrari removed the device and switched attention to its weekend programme.

Speaking after practice, Vettel revealed he had planned to do more running with the device but asked for it to be removed because he didn’t like it.

“I tried it this morning and I got a bit dizzy,” said Vettel. “The forward vision is not very good. I think it’s because of the curvature, you get quite a bit of distortion.

"There was a lot of downwash down the straight, coming off the back of my helmet and pushing my head forward.

“We had a run planned with it, but I didn’t like it, so we took it off.”

When asked if the device, which extends along the car’s nose in front of the driver, impacted on his ability to get in and out of the car, he said: “For sure it doesn’t help.

“Getting in doesn’t matter, but getting out is probably more about getting used to it so that’s not the main thing.”

The Shield has been pushed as more visually appealing compared to the Halo, with the screen developed by Italian company Isoclima.

Vettel admitted to minor visibility concerns when trialling the Halo at the British GP last year, yet he was also a vocal proponent of the cockpit protection device.

The FIA hopes a final version of the Shield can be ready to be introduced in time for 2018, but if not, the Halo will be introduced instead.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has said he does not want to rush the Shield through and believes introducing something in 2019 would make more sense.

Previous article Ricciardo says Red Bull can fight Ferrari at Silverstone
Next article Bottas lays down gauntlet by leading British F1 GP practice ahead of Hamilton, but penalty looms

Top Comments

Latest news