Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost thinks there is a chance that Carlos Sainz may still be able to race at the Russian Grand Prix, despite his huge practice accident.
Sainz was airlifted to hospital for precautionary checks following a sizeable accident in Saturday morning's final free practice session at Sochi.
The Spaniard appeared to lose control of his car on the twisting entry to Turn 13, swiping the wall on the left hand side of the track before plunging head-first into the barriers.
After he was removed from the car and taken to a local hospital, early indications suggest he has suffered no serious injuries.
Team boss Franz Tost said: “I think he is in good shape. He is fully conscious, and still in hospital being checked by the doctors.
“But the first information is that there is no fracture, nothing, and I hope to get more positive information soon.”
Car being readied
Tost said that Toro Rosso would work on preparing the car for Sunday, just in case there was a possibility that Sainz was ready to run.
When asked if he could compete, Tost said: “Possibly. We are just preparing the car and once he is back from the hospital, we have to talk to him about whether he is in the right condition to do the race.
“We are not pushing to do this because we must be 100% sure that he is fit enough to do the race – and I am not keen to say something now at this moment because, first of all, he must be back.”
Tost also revealed that Sainz had been fully conscious after the accident, and had switched the engine off while trapped in the car.
Sainz to remain in hospital overnight
An official statement from Scuderia Toro Rosso has confirmed that Sainz has sustained "no injuries", as evident from a medical examination, which included "a full body scan".
"However, he will be staying in the hospital overnight as a precautionary measure, which is the normal procedure in these circumstances," the team added.