F1 has no "serious offers" from new teams - Todt

FIA president Jean Todt says he has not had any offers he deems serious from interested parties wishing to enter Formula 1 in the future.

F1 has no "serious offers" from new teams - Todt
Nico Hulkenberg, Renault Sport F1 Team RS17 at the start of the race
The start of the race
Jean Todt in the press conference
Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG F1 W08, Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF70H, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB13, Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB13, at the start
Zoran Stefanovic, Stefan GP CEO
Listen to this article

Earlier this year, Zoran Stefanovic revealed plans for a second attempt to enter a team for 2019, having previously tried to enter as Stefan GP.

There are believed to several parties, including a group from China, that are evaluating entering F1.

But though Todt has had contact from interested candidates, he has seen nothing serious enough to warrant the FIA opening a tender for an additional slot on the grid.

"Not something I will comment as a very serious offer," said Todt when asked if he had had any reasonable offers.

"When we will see there is some serious offer, as we did, when Haas came to Formula 1, we understood there was some serious interest so we created a tender."

Previously, F1 had a maximum 26-car grid capacity and has not featured that many cars in its field since the middle of the 1995 season.

Todt said the current agreement is to have a grid of 24 cars but  commented "never say never" regarding the possibility of welcoming a 13th team if the situation presents itself.

"At the moment, we have 10 teams competing in F1," said Todt, who was speaking at an FIA Action for Road Safety press conference at Monza.

"We have a good championship. The maximum number of teams we would accept is 12 so I'm happy to listen to any good proposals.

"We are working to have an even better championship, but the agreements we have is for a maximum for 12 teams."

Given there are only five-and-a-half months left until pre-season testing for the 2018 season begins, should a new team be given the go-ahead, it be looking at an entry for 2019 at the earliest.

shares
comments
The low-drag 'Monza specials' that helped decide Italian GP
Previous article

The low-drag 'Monza specials' that helped decide Italian GP

Next article

Sauber "starting from scratch" with 2018 F1 car

Sauber "starting from scratch" with 2018 F1 car
Nicholas Latifi: The under-fire F1 driver fighting for his future Prime

Nicholas Latifi: The under-fire F1 driver fighting for his future

Personable, articulate and devoid of the usual racing driver airs and graces, Nicholas Latifi is the last Formula 1 driver you’d expect to receive death threats, but such was the toxic legacy of his part in last year’s explosive season finale. And now, as ALEX KALINAUCKAS explains, he faces a battle to keep his place on the F1 grid…

Formula 1
Aug 13, 2022
The strange tyre travails faced by F1’s past heroes Prime

The strange tyre travails faced by F1’s past heroes

Modern grand prix drivers like to think the tyres they work with are unusually difficult and temperamental. But, says  MAURICE HAMILTON, their predecessors faced many of the same challenges – and some even stranger…

Formula 1
Aug 12, 2022
The returning fan car revolution that could suit F1 Prime

The returning fan car revolution that could suit F1

Gordon Murray's Brabham BT46B 'fan car' was Formula 1 engineering at perhaps its most outlandish. Now fan technology has been successfully utilised on the McMurtry Speirling at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, could it be adopted by grand prix racing once again?

Formula 1
Aug 11, 2022
Hamilton's first experience of turning silver into gold Prime

Hamilton's first experience of turning silver into gold

The seven-time F1 champion has been lumbered with a duff car before the 2022 Mercedes. Back in 2009, McLaren’s alchemists transformed the disastrous MP4-24. And now it’s happening again at his current team

Formula 1
Aug 11, 2022
Why few would blame Leclerc if he leaves Ferrari in future Prime

Why few would blame Leclerc if he leaves Ferrari in future

OPINION: Ferrari's numerous strategy blunders, as well as some of his own mistakes, have cost Charles Leclerc dearly in the 2022 Formula 1 title battle in the first half of the season. Though he is locked into a deal with Ferrari, few could blame Leclerc if he ultimately wanted to look elsewhere - just as Lewis Hamilton did with McLaren 10 years prior.

Formula 1
Aug 9, 2022
The other McLaren exile hoping to follow Perez's path to a top F1 seat Prime

The other McLaren exile hoping to follow Perez's path to a top F1 seat

After being ditched by McLaren earlier in his F1 career Sergio Perez fought his way back into a seat with a leading team. BEN EDWARDS thinks the same could be happening to another member of the current grid

Formula 1
Aug 8, 2022
How studying Schumacher helped make Coulthard a McLaren F1 mainstay Prime

How studying Schumacher helped make Coulthard a McLaren F1 mainstay

Winner of 13 grands prix including Monaco and survivor of a life-changing plane crash, David Coulthard could be forgiven for having eased into a quiet retirement – but, as MARK GALLAGHER explains, in fact he’s busier than ever, running an award-winning media company and championing diversity in motor racing. Not bad for someone who, by his own admission, wasn’t quite the fastest driver of his generation…

Formula 1
Aug 7, 2022
Could F1 move to a future beyond carbon fibre? Prime

Could F1 move to a future beyond carbon fibre?

Formula 1 has ambitious goals for improving its carbon footprint, but could this include banishing its favoured composite material? Pat Symonds considers the alternatives to carbon fibre and what use, if any, those materials have in a Formula 1 setting

Formula 1
Aug 6, 2022