Three car idea 'not thought through' - Haug

Mercedes may also oppose Ferrari's plans to give teams the ability to field three cars apiece in the near future. Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who is also chairman of the teams association FOTA, said after heading a meeting with ...

Mercedes may also oppose Ferrari's plans to give teams the ability to field three cars apiece in the near future.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who is also chairman of the teams association FOTA, said after heading a meeting with colleagues at Monza on Wednesday that the issue of allowing three cars had been discussed.

Williams has already indicated that it will block the introduction of the measure, and Mercedes' Norbert Haug told a-z.ch: "This (three cars) idea has not been thought through."

"Perhaps Ferrari is interested because they have so many drivers under contract," the German added.

Haug is referring to the fact that, as well as being contractually obliged to both Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen for 2010, Ferrari has also apparently signed Fernando Alonso and remains interested in housing a Michael Schumacher comeback.

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali said that, contrary to Ferrari's wishes, he was not sure the three-car regime will arrive for 2010.

"It is difficult, unless the (three) new teams take a step back," he admitted in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Michael Schumacher , Kimi Raikkonen , Fernando Alonso , Luca di Montezemolo , Norbert Haug , Felipe Massa
Teams Ferrari , Mercedes , Williams