Bruno Senna's seat at Campos may not be as safe as was previously thought. In the wake of the Spanish team's Bernie Ecclestone-aided takeover by Jose Ramon Carabante, it was feared the Brazilian might lose his racing role to a better-funded ...
Bruno Senna's seat at Campos may not be as safe as was previously thought.
In the wake of the Spanish team's Bernie Ecclestone-aided takeover by Jose Ramon Carabante, it was feared the Brazilian might lose his racing role to a better-funded driver.
But on Sunday the 26-year-old nephew of the great Ayrton Senna met with Carabante and new team boss Colin Kolles and was reportedly told he will not be asked to safeguard his seat by securing more sponsors.
But, officially, Campos' stance has been that it will only confirm its full driver lineup in "due course".
And Kolles told the BBC on Thursday: "We will make an announcement on drivers very soon."
It is strongly rumoured that Karun Chandhok and USF1's Jose Maria Lopez are in pole position for the seats.
Kolles, formerly team boss at Force India and the Silverstone based team's previous guises, would not confirm that talks with Argentine Lopez and USF1 backer Chad Hurley are taking place.
But the BBC said Charlotte based USF1 is all but dead, with only a team manager and a single mechanic ready to front the race team.
Sporting director Peter Windsor was unavailable for comment.
The report said talk of a merger between USF1 and Campos is wide of the mark, but quoted Kolles as being bullish about the team's hopes of making the Bahrain grid.
"We are working flat out and will be in Bahrain," said the German-Romanian, who is also a dentist.
"I know how to run a team that were struggling. We will be in Bahrain but it will be hard work," 42-year-old Kolles, who has reportedly also brought some funding to his new role, added.