Formula 1
Formula 1
29 Aug
-
01 Sep
Event finished
05 Sep
-
08 Sep
Event finished
19 Sep
-
22 Sep
Event finished
26 Sep
-
29 Sep
Event finished
10 Oct
-
13 Oct
Event finished
Motorsport Blog
Topic

Motorsport Blog

Sauber shows off delayed C35 Formula 1 car and promises progress in 2016

shares
comments
Sauber shows off delayed C35 Formula 1 car and promises progress in 2016
Feb 29, 2016, 1:19 PM

Sauber has unveiled the C35 Formula 1 car that it will race in the 2016 world championship and the team described the new design as an “evolution...

Sauber has unveiled the C35 Formula 1 car that it will race in the 2016 world championship and the team described the new design as an “evolution.”

The Swiss team did not take the new car to the first winter test of the season, which took place last week, but it did conduct running with last year’s C34.

The new car, which features an almost identical livery to the one the team used last year, is more tightly packaged than its predecessor thanks to the revised layout of the power unit produced for 2016 by Sauber’s engine supplier, Ferrari.

Sauber

The C35 will be officially launched in the pitlane of the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya ahead of the start of the second test tomorrow morning.

Sauber finished eighth in the 2015 constructors’ championship and team principal Monisha Kaltenborn explained that the squad would be focusing on cementing its position in the midfield before making further improvements.

She said: “We want to clearly improve. Obviously, there’s a certain position we’d like to achieve. But, to start with, it’s important to become established in mid-field. Only then are we going to focus on individual positions.”

Sauber

Sauber’s technical director, Mark Smith, explained that the new car was an “evolution” of the C34 and featured subtle aerodynamic changes.

He said: “For the development of the Sauber C35-Ferrari, we slightly changed the philosophy of how we developed the car aerodynamically.

“It sounds little, but the impact on the development of the car is significant. When looking at the Sauber C35, it is very much an evolution.”

Felipe Nasr Marcus Ericsson

Sauber has retained both Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr as its drivers for a second successive year and the Swedish racer who was 18th in the driver’s championship last year, explained that although he expected the competition in the midfield to be tough in 2016, he believes the team will improve using the C35.

Ericsson said: “The battle for positions is getting fiercer. But I’m convinced that, with the new car, we’re going to take a step forward so that we can finish in the points with greater consistency and under our own steam.

“Last year we managed a good start. In the second half of the season it was a harder struggle for us to score points. This season I’d like to see us being in contention for points and fighting on a level where speed is decisive.

“I know that everyone at the factory in Hinwil is working very hard in this direction.”

Monisha Kaltenborn

Kaltenborn explained that while her two drivers had impressed the team with their consistency and ability to learn from their errors, she expected them to demonstrate progress throughout 2016.

She said: “Both delivered a good, first season for us. Speaking for Marcus and Felipe is the fact that they made only few mistakes. And that they learnt from these mistakes.

“Now they’ll have to show how they’re going to keep working on their skills following the experience they’ve gained.”

Sauber

What do you make of Sauber’s C35? Do you expect the team to improve in 2016? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below or head over to the JAonF1 Facebook page for more discussion.
Next article
Analysis: The state of play in F1's engine politics

Previous article

Analysis: The state of play in F1's engine politics

Next article

Renault confident it has kept Lotus car's strengths

Renault confident it has kept Lotus car's strengths
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Marcus Ericsson
Teams Sauber