The Sauber Formula One team says it is baffled by Giedo van der Garde's comments after both parties agreed to terminate their contract.
Van der Garde announced on his Facebook page on Wednesday that his deal with the team had been terminated by mutual consent, but was critical of Sauber for the way he had been treated.
The Dutchman, who received 15 million Euros in the settlement, also conceded his Formula One career may be over.
Van der Garde's public comments had not been received well by Sauber, the Swiss squad saying it was surprised by his statement.
Sauber said, however, that it would not respond to van der Garde's accusations, as it wants to move on and focus on racing.
"Many of you read today's statement on Giedo van der Garde's Facebook page. So have we and we were, indeed, rather surprised," said Sauber in a statement.
"We don't know about Giedo's intentions. He may try to present himself as a winner, while we had actually hoped to come to rest after our agreement.
"Giedo decided to take a different approach – the reasoning behind we cannot understand.
"We'd have very good answers to the many statements and accusations in Giedo's post. But to expand on this wouldn't help our race team nor our fans and partners.
"It would only encourage a mud fight via the media and we will not lend ourselves to that."