Ricciardo: “No regrets” on charging drive and Mercedes collisions

Daniel Ricciardo says he has “no regrets” about the way he drove during Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix when he charged to third place and suffered collisions with both of the Mercedes drivers.

Ricciardo, who suffered another shunt when he dropped his third-placed trophy during media interviews, says he’s “looking forward to watching a replay” of the race that he called “crazy”.

He also said it was a fitting tribute to the memory of Jules Bianchi.

“It really was a good race,” said Ricciardo. “I came into it knowing the whole week has been so up and down for everyone, and once we got over the emotional side of what’s happened, I put it behind me and I think Jules and his family would wanted to have see a fascinating race – all of us drivers putting everything on the line. We all share that passion.

“I definitely did that today. I left a heavy heart out on the track, I made some moves and took risks, and put it all on the line.

“I definitely have no regrets about the outcome of today. I’m really proud of the approach to the race and how the whole weekend went. It was definitely dedicated to Jules and his family, but also a part of that is for the team. It’s been a long time coming.”

Three collisions in one Grand Prix

Ricciardo had already banged wheels with the Williams of Valtteri Bottas at the first corner, but his car was undamaged until the collision with Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes. He then needed a new front wing after touching Nico Rosberg with a handful of laps remaining.

“I guess it ruined both of our chances of a win,” he said. “Again, I don’t regret going for that move. It was my only chance of victory.

"I thought the move was clean but I guess he thought he had more room on the exit, and that was it.”

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Event Hungarian GP
Track Hungaroring
Drivers Daniel Ricciardo
Teams Red Bull Racing
Article type Breaking news