The weekend in Monza was as momentous behind the scenes as on the track, with some key movements taking place, which will affect F1 and some of its...
The weekend in Monza was as momentous behind the scenes as on the track, with some key movements taking place, which will affect F1 and some of its key players in the coming years.
One was the decision by Mercedes and its parent Daimler, not to fulfil Red Bull's request to supply engines, as the four times champion team is set to split with Renault.
Renault confirmed to this site on Sunday in Monza that the manufacturer will now either complete the purchase of Lotus or exit F1. There is no third option of continuing to supply engines alone.
Dr Zetsche was in Monza at the weekend and informed sources say that a supply of engines to its rival Red Bull Racing has been ruled out.
Mercedes sources indicated that it considered the situation a lose-lose, as if Red Bull beat the works team it would make no sense, while if it didn't, it would likely criticise its engine partner, as it has consistently over the last few years with Renault.
This means that Red Bull will almost certainly be obliged to go to Ferrari for a competitive engine for both of its teams. Both Red Bull and Toro Rosso have used Ferrari engines before, early in their existence before the switch to Renault.
Red Bull ran Ferrari V8s in 2006 and Toro Rosso ran Ferrari power from 2007 to 2012, including a win for Sebastian Vettel at Monza in 2008. Ironically this win came before Red Bull had scored its first of 50 F1 victories.
Speaking earlier in the weekend Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner said,
"Sitting here today we still have a contract with Renault. To my knowledge I’ve not had any discussion with Ferrari – unless Maurizio can tell me differently.
"But we’ve got an agreement with Renault as I say, we’ve got conditions within that agreement that aren’t privy to this group here and time will tell in terms of what their future holds for them. So hopefully something will be forthcoming in the near future."
Arrivabene has made it clear that it has no fears about supplying engines to Red Bull as he backs his engineers to build a good chassis, so it will not be beaten.
"Red Bull have big names, with Adrian Newey as chief designer, and it is easy to think if you give them the engine they will build a scary chassis, which means they will be really competitive,” Arrivabene told The Guardian. “My team, my engineers and aerodynamicists know their jobs. For that reason I don’t have a problem and competition is nice when you have a stronger competitor.
“This doesn’t mean tomorrow morning we will give our engines to Red Bull but I don’t see any problem to give our engine to any other team or be scared of the competition before they start. This is not the right spirit of competition, of what Ferrari represents. We fight with everybody.”
The Renault saga meanwhile, continues and looks set to come to a head shortly.
Italian GP: F1's tyre controversy. Know the whole story
Button keeping faith in Honda
About this article