Last year’s Formula One World Championship runner-up hopes there is resolution to new contract.
Nico Rosberg believes it would be massively disappointing to lose the German Grand Prix, as he thinks it is a “fundamental” part of the Formula One calendar.
Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday that the Hockenheim event, scheduled for July 19, looked unlikely as the circuit had a contract for 2016 but not for 2015, when the Nurburgring was scheduled to host it as part of the alternating deal.
German event is ‘legendary’
The German Grand Prix has been a part of the calendar since the 1951 season, having been absent only if the first year of grand prix racing.
Mercedes driver Rosberg said the news that his home race could be dropped are very bad news for the sport, given the involvement of German drivers and companies in Formula One.
Germany is a big part of F1 so I hope it works out.
"For me for as long as I can think the German Grand Prix is legendary, like the British Grand Prix," said Rosberg.
"It's such a fundamental part of the F1 season. It's very disappointing to hear that it's not fixed yet.
"For me but also for all the German fans. There's so many motor racing fans in Germany and it has such a large representation in the sport, with me, and Sebastian [Vettel], and Mercedes, etc. Germany is a big part of F1, so I hope it works out.