News of the World claims Mosley is a liar

The Mosley sex scandal deepened today as British tabloid newspaper The News of the World struck back at comments made by Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) president Max Mosley that the Nazi element of the story the newspaper ran last...

The Mosley sex scandal deepened today as British tabloid newspaper The News of the World struck back at comments made by Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) president Max Mosley that the Nazi element of the story the newspaper ran last week was untrue.

Mosley had responded in a letter to FIA members claiming that "the so-called Nazi element is pure fabrication." He also stated "I think I have done nothing wrong. Had I been caught driving excessively fast on a public road or over the alcohol limit I should have resigned the same day."

In response to the comments made by a joint statement by Mercedes-Benz and BMW which stated "the content of the publications is disgraceful," Mosley had commented to Reuters: "Unfortunately they did not contact me before putting out their statement to ask whether the content was in fact true. No doubt the FIA will respond to them in due course, as I am about to respond to the newspaper in question."

The newspaper in a new article this Sunday (6th April), reports that it exposes the FIA president as a "liar" and "pervert."

The paper claims to have spoken to one of the prostitutes involved in the now-notorious incident that has shaken the world of motorsport. She claims that Mosley had requested her to wear the German military uniform and bark orders at him while he engaged in the five-hour orgy at the London flat.

The News of the World claims the woman, who wish to remain unnamed, said: "Max knew last week's orgy was to have a Nazi theme, he ordered it!"

She was also quoted saying that "he filmed the whole thing on video camera to enjoy again later. And it's not the first time he's hired us."

Following the alleged revelations in last Sunday's edition, which claimed Mosley was involved in a five-hour sadomasochistic orgy with Nazi connotations, there has been a great deal of speculation about how the former lawyer can possibly continue in the high-profile global role within motorsport.

But Mosley had been clinging on to his unpaid position at the FIA like the proverbial limpet while pressure to prise the president from it has been growing by the day. It would now appear that the News of the World may have landed a blow from which the president will struggle to recover.

Following reports that Mosley has apologized to the FIA for the shameful incident but denied the Nazi role playing, he is keen to deflect the focus onto the invasion of privacy issue, for which he intended to sue the British newspaper for.

The News of the World, part of Rupert Murdoch's mighty News Corporation has stated that Mosley is indeed suing them. Murdoch's company lawyer Tom Crone said yesterday: "Given Mr Mosley's denials as to what we say our film depicts, we are surprised he seeks to stop us giving the public a chance to make up their own minds."

President and CEO of Formula One Management and Formula One Administration Bernie Ecclestone may well be regretting his comment made a mere seven weeks ago, when he was asked by an interviewer what was wrong with the sport. "There aren't enough sex scandals," he quipped at the time.

Well, there's one now and it's threatening to completely overshadow the racing.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Bernie Ecclestone
Teams Mercedes