Binotto: Demanding Mugello would put on "great show" for F1

Ferrari Formula 1 boss Mattia Binotto says that the Mugello circuit owned by the Italian team could put on a “great show” if it is granted a Grand Prix date in September.

Binotto: Demanding Mugello would put on "great show" for F1

Mugello, Imola and Portimao are all in the frame for races in September and October to follow the last currently scheduled event at Monza on September 6, with September looking highly likely for Mugello.

Many flyaway events have yet to be officially cancelled, but the ongoing COVID-19 virus and border control issues are making it hard for F1 to confirm any dates for races outside Europe. However the next leg of the calendar is expected to be announced next week.

If Mugello is added the fortuitous timing could mean that Ferrari celebrates its 1000th Grand Prix start at its home venue, and where it recently ran a two-year old car for Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc.

“I can confirm that we are discussing with F1,” said Binotto. “Our hope is to try to bring F1 to Mugello. We believe that Mugello is a great circuit, not only the sustainable side but generally speaking for the drivers – it’s very demanding.

“I think it’s a great track. I think that bringing F1 even in Italy to Tuscany, it’s a great region, with all the jewels we’ve got there, Florence etc. So I think it could be an exciting race there, and being potentially our 1000th race, doing it in Italy, at Mugello, our own race circuit, that would be great.

“It’s a track that I myself know pretty well because I’ve been there since 1995 when testing as an engineer – obviously not as a driver. But I’ve been very often there.

“It’s a very interesting track, demanding, fast. Drivers normally enjoy driving there, and we’ve been there a few days ago with Seb and Charles and both of them really enjoyed the track.”

Binotto added that he would like to see spectators allowed: “It would be great even more if we may have some fans there, which at the moment we cannot confirm. But I think generally speaking if this happens, we will try to organise a great show for the entire broadcasting and the entire fans.”

Read Also:

Todt: Great opportunity for Mugello and Imola

FIA president and former Ferrari boss Jean Todt said that F1’s efforts to fill out the 2020 calendar provide an “opportunity” for circuits like Mugello and Imola that would otherwise not be in a position to host a Grand Prix.

Todt met with F1 CEO Chase Carey in Austria to discuss how the calendar might look from September onwards, and said he would be pleased to see both of the classic Italian venues land race dates.

“I would love to [see it],” he said when asked by Motorsport.com. “In each difficulty there is opportunity, so I think to give an opportunity to circuits like Mugello, which is a Grade 1 circuit, to Imola which is a Grade 1 circuit, is great."

Todt would not elaborate on how the rest of the season might look.

“It would be inappropriate for me to announce things which are the responsibility of the commercial rights holder, Chase Carey, who is working day and night to present a calendar.

“I know that some more details will be given soon, because everybody needs more detail about what will be the calendar. 

“In certain countries the situation is obviously very complex, so they need to have a lot of creativity to see what are also the possible options which were not planned, and to optimise in order to present a calendar which will be of course less than 22 races, but which will be significantly more than the eight races which have been planned so far.”

Todt also praised the efforts of those who made F1’s return in Austria possible: “I think the world needs some activity, everybody was looking for something to come. That’s why I am so grateful to all those who are contributing to this achievement.

“But clearly, you had to be brave. I would say honestly the easiest solution would have been [to] wait until it’s much easier, and we would not be here.”

shares
comments

Related video

Stewards to review Hamilton decision after Red Bull request

Previous article

Stewards to review Hamilton decision after Red Bull request

Next article

Hamilton handed three-place grid penalty for race

Hamilton handed three-place grid penalty for race
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Prime

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says Stuart Codling.

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Prime

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences.

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Prime

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Prime

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Prime

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1's elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he's recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix driver ratings Prime

Italian Grand Prix driver ratings

Two drivers produced faultless performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left many to rue what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo would have won without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Prime

Why Ricciardo would have won without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates Prime

Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates

For the second time in 2021, McLaren will line up for the start of a grand prix from the first row. It knows it has the chance of "glory" if things go well for Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris at the start of the 2021 Italian Grand Prix, but even if they just maintain their grid positions, signs from the rest of the Monza weekend suggest success is very possible for Formula 1's other orange army

Formula 1
Sep 12, 2021