Roberto Merhi admits he is not certain about how many grands prix he will race in with the Manor Formula One team after he was confirmed for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
The Spanish driver will race alongside Will Stevens in Melbourne, but the Manor team said in a statement Merhi would partner the Briton in the "opening races" of the season.
Only last week, Merhi signed a deal with Pons Racing to compete in the Formula Renault 3.5 series.
The Renault series kicks off on April 25, and the first clash with a Formula One race would only come in Monaco, the sixth round of the F1 season.
Merhi said he is not bringing any financial backing to Manor, so he is unsure how long the deal will last.
"I raced with them in Formula Three, and they called me directly, not through my new manager, Mark Blundell," Merhi told Spain's El Confidencial.
"I don't have money and from what I understand Manor is looking for someone with a budget, and if they don't find it I don't know what they will do.
"The World Series [deal] doesn't stop me from racing."