Barcelona Test - Day One
Date Wednesday 9 March 2011
Track Circuit de Catalunya
Driver Nico Rosberg
No of Laps 100 laps
Best Lap Time 1:25.807
Kms Covered 466 kms
Track Length 4.655 kms
Weather Cloudy with sunny spells
The MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team's final test ahead of the 2011 Formula One season began at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona today with Nico Rosberg at the wheel of the MGP W02.
- The team ran the first items of its upgrade package today including a
new exhaust package and new bodywork.
- The morning was spent conducting baseline runs with the new components to ensure they were performing as predicted.
- Results were in line with the team's expectations.
- The afternoon session focused on set-up and tyre management over longer runs.
- A bodywork problem brought the day's running to an earlier than planned end.
- Nico completed 100 laps today, equating to 466 kms. The team has now completed 4768 kms of pre-season testing.
- Nico's quickest time was set on the first lap of what proved to be his final long run of the day.
Michael Schumacher will take over the car for Thursday and Friday, with Nico completing the programme on Saturday.
Nico Rosberg: "It was nice to get the first of our upgrades on the car today, and to feel their potential. Thanks to everyone at the team for their hard work as I think we have some impressive developments, even though we couldn't test or show the full performance today as not all of the elements are on the car and working together yet. We had glimpses that showed that the full package should be a big step. The bodywork problem cost some time at the end, however we still learned a great deal."