Toro Rosso: Gasly/Hartley 2018 line-up likely, Kvyat out for good

shares
comments
Toro Rosso: Gasly/Hartley 2018 line-up likely, Kvyat out for good
By:
Oct 27, 2017, 9:42 PM

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost says there is a "high possibility" that Brendon Hartley and Pierre Gasly will be his team’s line-up in Formula 1 for 2018.

Pierre Gasly, Scuderia Toro Rosso
Brendon Hartley, Scuderia Toro Rosso
Brendon Hartley, Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12
Brendon Hartley, Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12
Pierre Gasly, Scuderia Toro Rosso
Daniil Kvyat, Scuderia Toro Rosso

With it now confirmed that Daniil Kvyat has been dropped by Red Bull, Tost says his mind is set on keeping his current drivers into 2018.

Asked about the reasons for running the current line-up, Tost said: “Because both are Red Bull drivers, both are highly skilled drivers.

"We want to test them for the rest of the season as there is a high possibility this will be the driver line-up for 2018.”

Tost had no doubts that Hartley had shown big potential in his first outing for the team, and was sure he could deliver for his team in the future.

“Brendon is a very high-skilled driver, he is very competitive,” he said. “I am really happy that he is back and I can tell you we give him a competitive car, he will be there and he will fight in F1 for success.

“I hope next year we will bring together a competitive package that he can fight for victories and other positions [with].”

Hartley comeback

Red Bull boss Christian Horner went as far as suggesting that Gasly and Hartley could be options for his team further down the road.

“The two drivers that Franz has for next year represent two exciting prospects for Red Bull Racing further down the line,” he said.

Horner was full of praise for the way in which Hartley had battled his way back to F1, despite being dropped by Red Bull earlier in his career.

“What is fantastic about the Brendon story is that that is a guy who started off life in [Red Bull’s] junior programme,” he said. “He got dropped early on in programme, but there was no remorse or saying ‘haven’t I been badly treated’. At the time he thanked Red Bull for the opportunity.

“He had nothing else to race, he went to racing minis, historic F1 cars, and he showed a passion and commitment to keep doing what he believed in himself.

“He renewed his association with Red Bull when he became a sportscar driver with Porsche and became a world champion, and is competing for that world championship again this year.

“It is testimony to his determination and tenacity and skill and talent that he has got himself into a position to be selected for Toro Rosso for the races he is doing.”

Kvyat out

Although Kvyat scored a point for Toro Rosso in the United States Grand Prix, the Russian was told after the event that he would not be racing again for the team.

Tost has now officially confirmed that Kvyat was indeed no longer a part of Red Bull’s programme.

“He is not any more with Red Bull and he is therefore free to do whatever he wants to do,” he said. “He is not any more with Red Bull or Toro Rosso.”

Next article
Loose screw led to fire extinguisher issue - Vettel

Previous article

Loose screw led to fire extinguisher issue - Vettel

Next article

Mexican F1 GP: Daniel Ricciardo leads close FP2 battle ahead of Lewis Hamilton

Mexican F1 GP: Daniel Ricciardo leads close FP2 battle ahead of Lewis Hamilton
Load comments
Be first to get
breaking news