Kubica "ready" to race as Williams shot looms

shares
comments
Kubica
By: Scott Mitchell
Co-author: Erwin Jaeggi
Aug 24, 2018, 3:45 PM

Robert Kubica says he is ready to complete a full grand prix weekend as the prospect of him getting a Formula 1 call-up with Williams this season looms.

Kubica has not raced in F1 since the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix because of the rallying crash in early-2011 that left him with life-threatening injuries.

He was named Williams reserve earlier this year after failing to clinch a shock return to the grid, but the consequences of the reincarnation of Force India could include Kubica being promoted to a Williams race seat.

Read Also:

Lance Stroll is expected to move across from Williams after his father Lawrence's investment in Racing Point Force India, a change that could happen this season if a complex sequence of events involving Esteban Ocon and Stoffel Vandoorne comes off.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, Kubica said he could step up to complete a grand prix weekend for Williams regardless of the reason for the call-up.

"I feel ready because otherwise I would not sign a contract with Williams for this year," he said.

"So it's on my desk that, 'You have to keep being ready and in case something happens, you have to step up'.

"Of course, it is not easy when you have to drive against the top drivers in the middle of the season.

"Although I have some opportunities to drive the car, you still lack experience, but you have to do it.

"I also think when Williams approached me for this role, they also have no doubts that I can do it. But what's happening currently and a lot of speculation is not affecting myself.

"I'm doing my job and then what the future will bring, we will see."

Kubica said the reason the movements in the driver market did not change his personal position because he did not believe it was right to base his F1 hopes on "a feeling".

"Sometimes you have to be in the right place in the right moment with a bit of luck and have people who are believing in you," he said.

While speculation suggests the driver merry-go-round could kick in for next weekend's Italian Grand Prix, it is understood that would be too short notice and the Singapore Grand Prix in mid-September is more likely.

That would mean Kubica, who has changed the way he drives because of the consequences of the injuries he sustained, returning to F1 on a street track.

However, he believes the limitations he has would not stop him "driving at a good pace" on such circuits.

"In the end, when I said that I could drive, I meant all season," said Kubica. "So, I know I went through different tests. First with Renault and then with Williams. I'm confident that I could do it."

Kubica's reserve driver role has already helped him return to GP weekend action for the first time since Abu Dhabi in 2010, having taken part in free practice sessions in Spain and Austria.

Robert Kubica, Williams FW41

Robert Kubica, Williams FW41

Photo by: Andrew Hone / LAT Images

Next Formula 1 article
Belgian GP: Raikkonen outpaces Hamilton in FP2

Previous article

Belgian GP: Raikkonen outpaces Hamilton in FP2

Next article

Belgian GP: Friday's press conference

Belgian GP: Friday's press conference
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Robert Kubica
Teams Williams
Author Scott Mitchell
Article type Breaking news