Hugo Boss ends F1 sponsorship in favour of Formula E

shares
comments
Hugo Boss ends F1 sponsorship in favour of Formula E
By:
Nov 10, 2017, 11:03 AM

Long-time Formula 1 sponsor Hugo Boss has revealed that it is set to end its involvement in grand prix racing in favour of a switch to Formula E.

The German fashion brand has sponsored Mercedes since 2015, having previously been involved with McLaren for more than 30 years during the team’s most successful spell in the sport.

But with Formula E’s profile growing, and manufacturers including Mercedes joining up in the near future, Hugo Boss is moving its sponsorship efforts.

Chief executive Mark Langer told German magazine Focus that he felt FE was a better platform for his company than F1.

“Of course Formula 1 is the top class of motor racing, but Formula E is more innovative and sustainable,” Langer said.

“The engines, the races in major cities, that’s something a younger audience likes, which offers new opportunities.”

Langer was keen to point out that the decision had not been prompted because Formula E was a cheaper option than F1.

He added: “After many years in Formula 1, ever since Jochen Mass in the 1970’s, we have been thinking what is the next thing?”

Next article
Alonso: Recent progress doesn't make up for "very bad" year

Previous article

Alonso: Recent progress doesn't make up for "very bad" year

Next article

Sauber gives Wehrlein new parts to fix “strange” aero issue

Sauber gives Wehrlein new parts to fix “strange” aero issue
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Teams Mercedes Shop Now
Author Jonathan Noble
Be first to get
breaking news