Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Max Verstappen is yet to reach his peak, says former F1 team boss

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Max Verstappen is yet to reach his peak, says former F1 team boss

Karun Chandhok "surprised" by length of Max Verstappen's Red Bull contract

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Karun Chandhok "surprised" by length of Max Verstappen's Red Bull contract

John Hunter Nemechek switches to No. 40 for special anniversary

NASCAR Cup
New Hampshire
John Hunter Nemechek switches to No. 40 for special anniversary

F1 Dutch GP: Friday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Friday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

George Russell shares details of summer break proposal to partner Carmen Montero Mundt

Formula 1
Dutch GP
George Russell shares details of summer break proposal to partner Carmen Montero Mundt

“Something needed to change” – What Marcin Budkowski must fix at Cadillac F1

Formula 1
Dutch GP
“Something needed to change” – What Marcin Budkowski must fix at Cadillac F1

President Donald Trump to wave green flag and take 'lap of honor' before D.C. IndyCar race

IndyCar
Washington, D.C.
President Donald Trump to wave green flag and take 'lap of honor' before D.C. IndyCar race

How to watch IndyCar 2026 at Washington D.C.: Weekend schedule, start time, TV

IndyCar
Washington, D.C.
How to watch IndyCar 2026 at Washington D.C.: Weekend schedule, start time, TV
Breaking news

Ferrari discovers Vettel's Singapore engine still useable

Sebastian Vettel's Singapore Grand Prix Formula 1 engine is available to use again, after Ferrari found there was no damage to the unit following his first-lap crash, Motorsport.com has learned.

 The damaged car of Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H
 Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, on the formation lap
 Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF70H, crash out at the start
 Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, crashes out on the opening lap
 Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB13, Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF70H, collide at the start
 Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W08

Vettel, Max Verstappen and Kimi Raikkonen came together on the run away from the grid, with Raikkonen's car hitting teammate Vettel and then collecting Verstappen and Alonso's McLaren at Turn 1.

Vettel, who was on the outside and moved over to cover the inside line as Verstappen and Raikkonen approached on his left, continued but crashed out moments later from the lead of the race.

Having examined the unit at Maranello, Ferrari feels the engine - the third of Vettel's allocation - can remain in the pool to be used again if required in the remaining six races.

The news is significant as it reduces the chances of Vettel having to take a grid penalty later in the season for engine component changes.

Vettel and Raikkonen have so far used three internal combustion engines, MGU-Hs, MGU-Ks, energy stores and control electronics and four turbochargers.

A further change of the turbocharger would spark a 10-place grid penalty as it would exceed their respective allocations.

It is believed Ferrari is hoping to introduce its next specification of engine at the upcoming Malaysian Grand Prix, meaning Vettel and Raikkonen will move onto the fourth and final unit of their allocation.

With a new oil burn limit of 0.9 litres per 100km coming into force from the Italian Grand Prix onwards, Ferrari will need to run at the lower limit when it introduces its new unit.

As Mercedes introduced its new engine in Belgium, one race before Italy, it is allowed to keep burning 1.2 litres of oil per 100km should it wish to do so.

Previous article Raikkonen: Wrong to assume Ferrari will struggle
Next article Massa column: Vettel too forceful in Singapore GP start

Top Comments

Latest news